• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Surakin

OpenGL OpenGL Performance Regression after the NVIDIA 197.x.x.x driver series

This topic is 2781 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is a repost of this thread from the main NVIDIA graphic drivers forum (non-developer) :http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187087&st=0&p=1154303&fromsearch=1&#entry1154303

Hello,

I'm in charge of the OpenGL renderer in my company's MMO (Regnum Online)

I write here because we've been having performance problems with drivers newer than 197.x in both Windows and Linux. (I'm talking about 60-70% FPS loss, from ~80 to ~30, from ~60 to ~15).

The game uses shaders extensively but even with those disabled, using fixed-pipeline mode, the problem stays. I've tracked down the bottleneck to glDrawRangeElements, it's almost inmediate on 19x but it takes way more time to complete on 2xx. As it takes more time with bigger geometry, I strongly suspect it's somehow related to Vertex/Index Buffers staying in AGP/system memory and not GPU memory. Another test I ran to check this theory is switching to 19x and disabling VBO's completely, and the performance was exactly similar to 2xx with VBOs enabled.

I've been googling all day to try to find another people with this problem and I found nothing. If you please give me some guidelines i'd be really grateful because i'm really, really lost with this problem.

Best regards,

Advertisement
Perhaps it has to do with the number of indices and vertices in each gldrawrangeelements call. Perhaps it is the vertex and normal format. Perhaps you are using some odd format like GL_DOUBLE. Etc

Quote:
Original post by karwosts
Have you considered to check out NVIDIA PerfSDK or NVIDIA glExpert? I haven't used it much, but it looks like it has some performance monitoring tools in there. Might be worth your while to take a look.

I don't know if it's me but those tools seem to be broken on every OS/architecture/driver combination I tried :(

Quote:
Original post by V-man
Perhaps it has to do with the number of indices and vertices in each gldrawrangeelements call. Perhaps it is the vertex and normal format. Perhaps you are using some odd format like GL_DOUBLE. Etc

The same vertex format worked flawlessly on the old drivers, and still works perfectly on the Direct3D version of the game. And no GL_DOUBLEs are used.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!