Working with OGL3.x-

Started by
16 comments, last by wolfscaptain 13 years, 3 months ago
Hi!
I've been setting up a new context for some time now. And I finally seem to get to grips with it. However, I can't render anything in my window, which is quite crippling...

I'm loading an OBJ into vectors and load that information into a couple of VBO's for texccords, vertex position, normals and a vector for indices.
I know for a fact that the code I'm using is functional under lower contexts and I just can't get it to work in the new one.

I'm thinking that it's got something to do with using my own matrices and how the shaders are set up... but I can't figure it out.

My render function:
void cOpenGLContext::renderScene(void) {	glViewport(0, 0, windowWidth, windowHeight);	// set the viewport to fill the entire window	glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT | GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT);	// clear required buffers	viewMatrix = glm::translate(glm::mat4(1.0f), glm::vec3(0.0f, 0.0f, -5.0f));		// create our view matrix which will translate us back 5 units	modelMatrix = glm::scale(glm::mat4(1.0f), glm::vec3(0.5f));// create our model matrix which will halve the size of our model	shader->bind();		int projectionMatrixLocation = glGetUniformLocation(shader->id(), "projectionMatrix");	// get the location of our projection matrix in the shader		int viewMatrixLocation = glGetUniformLocation(shader->id(), "viewMatrix");	// get the location of our view matrix in the shader		int modelMatrixLocation = glGetUniformLocation(shader->id(), "modelMatrix");	// get the location of our model matrix in the shader		glUniformMatrix4fv(projectionMatrixLocation, 1, GL_FALSE, &projectionMatrix[0][0]);// send our projection matrix to the shader		glUniformMatrix4fv(viewMatrixLocation, 1, GL_FALSE, &viewMatrix[0][0]);	// send our view matrix to the shader		glUniformMatrix4fv(modelMatrixLocation, 1, GL_FALSE, &modelMatrix[0][0]);	// send our model matrix to the shader		// rest of render function here		// VBO [start]		// drawing		glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);		glEnableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);		glEnableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);			// vertex buffer			glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, earth.vBufferObject);			glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 0, 0);			// texture buffer			glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, earth.tBufferObject);			glTexCoordPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 0, 0);			// normal buffer			glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, earth.nBufferObject);			glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT, 0, 0);			// index buffer			glBindBuffer(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, earth.iBufferObject);			// draws it all			glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, earth.vFaces.size(), GL_UNSIGNED_INT, 0);			// unbinds the buffers			glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0);			glBindBuffer(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0);		glDisableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);		glDisableClientState(GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);		glDisableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);		// drawing end	shader->unbind();	SwapBuffers(hdc);																// swap buffers so we can see our rendering}

My shaders
// vert#version 150 corein vec3 in_Position;in vec3 in_Color;out vec3 pass_Color;uniform mat4 projectionMatrix;uniform mat4 viewMatrix;uniform mat4 modelMatrix;void main(void) {	gl_Position = projectionMatrix * viewMatrix * modelMatrix * vec4(in_Position, 1.0);	pass_Color = in_Color;}// frag#version 150 corein vec3 pass_Color;out vec4 out_Color;void main(void) {	out_Color = vec4(pass_Color, 1.0);}

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? I'm going blind, staring at this code.

Thanks!
Marcus
Advertisement
It looks like you need to study the 3.x specification a bit more closely. OpenGL 3 deprecates a lot of functionality. Just skimming over your code, I can see lots of deprecated code: glEnableClientState, glVertexPointer, etc. You need to learn how to use vertex attribute arrays.

If you are running OpenGL 3.2 or later, those functions simply will not work at all. Running 3.1 should enable that deprecated functionality.
Amateurs practice until they do it right.Professionals practice until they never do it wrong.
Hi, TheBuzzSaw.
Do you mean something like:

// function for setting up the buffersglGenBuffers(1, &vBufferObject);glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vBufferObject);glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, ((int)(vertices.size()) * 3 * sizeof(float)), &(vertices.at(0)), GL_STATIC_DRAW);glVertexAttribPointer((GLuint)0, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 0, 0);// ...// draw functionglBindVertexArray(earth.vBufferObject);glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLES, 0, 3);

Thanks for your previous answer.
Yes, you are on the right track. I've not gotten into the habit of using vertex array objects yet, but vertex attribute arrays and vertex buffer objects should pretty much drive your entire program. ;)
Amateurs practice until they do it right.Professionals practice until they never do it wrong.
Hm hm. Okay. I've got stuff to think about then. Crap. But thanks for your answer :)

If anyone else have anything to add, please do.

Thanks!
Marcus
Here's how I use VAO and VBO: Cube.cpp
Quote:Original post by Trefall
Here's how I use VAO and VBO: Cube.cpp

Thanks for posting that. That's how I'm doing it right now. But I'm still not getting anything on the screen. Just my regular background.

// vao, vbo, ibo setupvao = 0;// vertex bufferglGenVertexArrays(1, &vao);glBindVertexArray(vao);glGenBuffers(1, &vBufferObject);glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vBufferObject);glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(float)*vertices.size(), NULL, GL_STATIC_DRAW);glBufferSubData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0, sizeof(float)*vertices.size(), &vertices[0]);//.....// render functionglBindVertexArray(earth.vao);glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, earth.vFaces.size(), GL_UNSIGNED_INT, 0);glBindVertexArray(0);

Thanks for the help, guys.
I assume you also bind and buffer your index list? :) Use this snippet to see if OpenGL is throwing any errors internally:

{  GLenum err = glGetError();  if(err != GL_NO_ERROR)    std::cout << "OpenGL prog error: " << gluErrorString(err) << std::endl;  std::cout.flush();}
You don't wanna be using GLU in OpenGL 3.

I would recommend trying to draw without VAOs for testing. Just see if you can bind a buffer and draw it.
You also may want to calculate your modelview * projection matrix on the CPU and uploading it once to the GPU instead of doing it per-vertex. The model matrix has to be passed up separately for each unique object. The only access you have to the GL default attributes is to the gl_* attributes in your shader. User defined attributes have to be bound and specified by the user...it doesn't happen automagically. See the GLSL spec for reference. With that said your shader is transforming some unknown attributes since the default vertex attribute that is bound to glVertexPointer is gl_Vertex which is not valid when version 150 is define.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement