Sign in to follow this  

[web] Flex BitmapAsset + graphics.drawRect with Matrix

This topic is 2570 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I originally posted this to the ActionScript forums, but this might be a better place to get an answer.

Ok, newbie question!

As part of my 'trying to figure this tech out' I have been trying to re-implement some HTML5 Canvas tutorials in Flex so I can compare the two more directly. In this case I am trying to convert Matthew Casperson's "Advanced Image Manipulations with the Canvas Element tutorial to Flex. I am trying to keep to the 'how' as closely as possible even though I know the same result could be accomplished in Flex using addChild and such.

The basic tick loop it uses basically does:

clear the canvas
translate the canvas so it is centerd (width/2-image.width/2 etc)
preform transformation (rotate, alpha, shear, or scale)
blit image to translated origin
untranslate

(specifically)

context2D.clearRect(0, 0, canvas.width, canvas.height);
context2D.save();
context2D.translate(HALFCANVASWIDTH - HALFIMAGEDIMENSION, HALFCANVASHEIGHT - HALFIMAGEDIMENSION);
currentFunction();
context2D.drawImage(image, 0, 0);
context2D.restore();

To try to accomplish this in flex I have done something along these lines (just using the rotate case for simplicity):

public class SimpleCanvas extends UIComponent
{
[Embed(source = '../assets/jsplatformer1-smiley.jpg')]
public static const SmileImage:Class
private var SmileAsset:BitmapAsset = null;

public function init():void
{
SmileAsset = new SmileImage() as BitmapAsset;
}

public function onTick():void
{
var tm:Matrix = new Matrix();
tm.translate( -SmileAsset.width/2, -SmileAsset.height/2 )
tm.rotate(sineWave)
tm.translate( (width/2 ), (height/2) )
graphics.clear()
graphics.beginBitmapFill(SmileAsset.bitmapData,tm,false,true)
graphics.drawRect(0,0,width,height);
graphics.endFill();
}

Now, this has gotten me most of the way there, but has a problem. The image ends up in the center correctly, and rotates correctly, but I get a strange artifact with black bars extending from the top/bottom/left/right of the bitmap (the places where black pixels boarder the image) off into infinity.

I tried doing the drawRect based off the width/height of the image, but it ends up only drawing around the untranslated origin of the canvas (where there is no image). I tried creating a point, translating it using transformPoint and using that plus the image width/height, but that point also rotates resulting in a moving window of correctness on the canvas.

So, any suggestions here? Is there a way I can eliminate the artifacts, or perhaps a better way to handle this that still follows the original 'how' of the HTML5 example?

Thanks.

This topic is 2570 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.