Sign in to follow this  
NeoRagnarokX

How do you learn a new language or API?

NeoRagnarokX    101
When I was in college I had the bad/good habit of learning everything (or almost everything) of a language or an API before using it. Most of the time I had to invest a lot of free time learning, but after I completed my training it was really easy for me to finish the project that I was asked for, although most of the things I learned weren't used.

The problem for me was when I didn't have the time to learn it completely and I felt very eager, because a psychological disorder I have.

Now that I have a much better control of myself I'm wondering if it's a good way to learn or i should change it for a more effective one. So, how do you learn a new language or a new API?

zerothrillz    152
I'll learn what I need to know to do what I need to do. Memorization will come with use. Natural adaptation, I suppose.

Besides, once you understand the usage pattern for the API and you know what functions there are that do what, everything else is just spelling.

NeoRagnarokX    101
Quote:
Original post by zerothrillz
I'll learn what I need to know to do what I need to do. Memorization will come with use. Natural adaptation, I suppose.

Besides, once you understand the usage pattern for the API and you know what functions there are that do what, everything else is just spelling.

Mmm, I like your way.

Dunge    405
Just start up the official documentation, and check the table of content. It gives you an idea of what's possible. Choose what you want to do, and try to do it using the doc.

Sean_Seanston    880
Problem is, I often find I have no idea whatsoever how to do something in DirectX and it seems hard to put it into words and find a tutorial or a site that shows real practical beginner problems for game development being solved.

I've been looking through this guide though a little recently:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb173023%28VS.85%29.aspx

I don't know if it was quite like that when I first started to learn DirectX... don't remember seeing it anyway. So maybe it'll answer most of my questions or let me answer them myself by experimentation, I just wish there was a good structured way to learn DirectX through concrete game development examples.

NeoRagnarokX    101
[indent]Quote:[i]Original post by Dunge[/i]
Just start up the official documentation, and check the table of content. It gives you an idea of what's possible. Choose what you want to do, and try to do it using the doc.[/indent]

Interesting. I will give it a try too.LA PERSONA QUE ME LO ENVIO ESTA TODAVIA ASOMBRADA DE LO OCURRIDO, YA QUE ELLA DICE QUE LO HIZO POR HACERLO Y QUE PIDIO ALGO QUE CREIA CASI IMPOSIBLE DE LOGRAR PROBEMOS.* Para ti mismo di el nombre de la unica persona del sexo opuesto con quien quieras estar (tres veces...)...* Piensa en algo que quieras lograr dentro de la proxima semana y repitelo para ti mismo(a) (seis veces)...* Piensa en algo que quieras que pase entre tu y la persona especial (que dijiste en el no. 1) y dilo a ti mismo/a (doce veces)...* Ahora haz un ultimo y final deseo acerca del deseo que escogiste.* Despues de leer esto tienes 1 hora para mandarlo a 15 temas y lo que pediste se te hara realidad en 1 semana.