Sign in to follow this  
katie1993

laptop/computer recommendations

hey guys
i was wandering if you could tell me what the best laptop or computer would be for game programming
i was told a macbook pro but today i was told a dell

would also be great if could use it for every day things aswell such as facebook thanks x

Well that depends... what kind of language do you want to use?

If you want to use c# and xna/slimdx than a windows machine would be your best bet. Otherwise either a mac or windows should work (such as for c++ or java).

As far as internet browsing goes, such as facebook, both windows and mac can do that. :)

if im honest im just starting out and havent got a clue what any of it means :) total novice it just seemed like a really good idea but finding the right software is hard as everyone has different opinions

but thanks you have been a great help x

I like my Macbook. Contrary to popular belief, they're not that much more expensive than a comparable PC of comparable build-quality, battery life, and overall 'niceness'. Everyone says different, but when pressed for a comparison to a PC laptop they almost always pull up some no-name brand, fire sale item or self-build. They can also boot into windows using bootcamp or through virtualization (although you get limited 3D hardware acceleration, which may or may not matter to you.)

If you were to get a mac now, I might recommend you the new 13" air -- no disc drive, but the screen resolution is higher than the 13" pro (at least until they update the pro line). The extra screen real estate can come in handy.

That said, if you're just getting your feet wet with this whole programming thing, and aren't yet sure that its for you, you can certainly get cheaper options. Brands don't matter -- you want features and a good reputation. You also don't need an uber-laptop with high-end dedicated graphics unless you *actually do* (in other words, if you don't know you need it and why, then you don't.) Do at least get a decent integrated GPU though -- something with nVidia or AMD (ATI) graphics.

I personally had no problem with my former Dell, but my mom and brother have both had issues, the former a "business" laptop and the latter a "gaming" laptop. Lenovo and Asus make some good kit on the PC side of things. I would avoid HP, Acer, and anything with a rock-bottom price. You can get a decent enough laptop in the range of $700-$900 with good integrated graphics or entry-level discrete graphics, a fast dual-core CPU, 2-4 Gigs of ram, and a sizable hard drive from a quality manufacturer.

I love my 13" MBP, I run Windows 7 on it most of the time though because I'm not really used to OS X. Yes, you can get a laptop with the same specs for a lot cheaper but I love the quality of the "fancy" hardware enough that the extra money is well spent in my opinion.

1. It's small and light, very portable.

2. The aluminum case is solid, when I pick it up there isn't any flexing, know I can shove it in my backpack and it will be fine.

3. The glass touchpad is very nice to work with. With all other touchpads my finger actually gets sore because they are too grippy. Also, multi-touch is amazing. The MBP touchpad really does increase my productivity when I can't work with a mouse.

4. Battery life is great.

Now things would be a little different if I was into gaming. But, it's perfect for school and hobby coding.

I use ASUS G50/G51 series gaming laptops. Excellent build quality, good keyboards, good performance, little to no OEM bloatware, gaming-grade video chipsets, high quality screens, and can easily be found in the $1200-$1600 CDN range.

Yes, you can build a desktop with the same specs for half the price (sans monitor), but I put a lot of value on the portability of a laptop, the HDMI output, and excellent warranties that usually come with ASUS laptops.

Please, make sure if you need it to be portable. If not just get a desktop. It is always good to build your own rig. :D

=My current setup=
System
i7 930 @ 3.5 GHz no-HyperThreading with a V10
Radeon 5870 @ 850/1200 MHz
6 GB DDR3-1333
Blu-Ray Reader + DVD Writer
1 TB Hard Drive
Peri
Logitech X-530, MX518 ,and a G15
A samsung 23" 2333TN.(Very cheap with great specs; Cons: only a VGA input)

Newegg is a great resource.
If you need help deciding in any components just send me a PM being as precise as possible.