Sign in to follow this  
Buckeye

[Dx9, PixWin] PixWin locks up machine

After collecting single frame data in PixWin (from the June 2010 SDK) for a program of mine which uses an effect for vertex shading, clicking on the Render tab to attempt shader debugging causes the screen to go dark, the monitor indicates "No Signal" and there is no response from my machine. I have to power-down and restart the machine to recover as alt-ctrl-delete doesn't result in any response so I can't provide any info on where the fault occurs.

There are several posts around the web with similar stories and I thought I saw a title for a recent post here on gamedev that may, also, have been similar.

Does anyone have any info or workarounds for this problem? Are there any viable alternatives to PixWin for debugging shaders?

EDIT: Using Dx9, VS2008 (full version, not express), June 2010 DirectX SDK (downloaded just today), Windows XP.

Sounds like the display driver is crashing and taking everything down with it. You can try using NVPerfHUD for Nvidia or GPU PerfStudio for ATI, those can debug shaders. Nvidia also has their new "Parallel Nsight" suite, but it doesn't run on XP.

Thanks for the reply, Matt. Updated my driver but that particular app still locks up with Pix - some others don't. Tried PerfStudio but the only version I could find (1.2) that will run on my machine apparently doesn't support shader debugging, only performance analysis (as far as I could determine). Other PerfStudio versions require Vista or 7 as the server so I don't know their capability.

Perhaps my machine has just become too old, which is a pity. My old VS2003 used to debug shaders satisfactorily. Unfortunately, I bought VS2008 without knowing I'd lose that capabilty. In any case, I'll certainly have to consider an NVidia card on the next machine.