Sign in to follow this  
PrestoChung

OpenGL Lighting sparse meshes

Is there some way to tweak OpenGL lighting to give better results for sparse meshes? There are very obvious planes of light & dark since lighting is calculated per-vertex.

I would prefer not to subdivide the meshes but if that's the only way...

Example

You should investigate per-pixel lighting. Instead of doing your lighting calculations in the vertex shader you do them in the pixel shader. You'll need to make a few extra tweaks, like interpolating the normal across the triangle so you have a per-pixel normal available.

Is this a good tutorial on the subject? http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glsl/

It sounds like I have to somehow make my own vertex and fragment shader? It also sounds like it depends on what version of OpenGL I have.

gluGetString(GL_VERSION) tells me I am running 1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation

I would assume my machine/OS is a higher version, and this 1.2.2.0 version is the one I'm working with in my program?

And what does glGetString (GL_VERSION) give you? gluGetString is something completely different: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd368660%28VS.85%29.aspx

Right now I draw with these calls:
void DrawVbo()const{
glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, Vbo_Vert_Id);
glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 32, 0);
glNormalPointer (GL_FLOAT, 32, (GLvoid*) (NULL + sizeof (float) * 3));
glTexCoordPointer (2, GL_FLOAT, 32, (GLvoid*) (NULL + sizeof (float) * 6));
glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, NumIndices(Portal_Walls.size()), GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, 0);
}

Is this usage compatible with using fragment shader?

Do I need to use a vertex shader if I am using a fragment shader? The vertexes are fine, I just want the fragment shader.

Do I need to change to glVertexAttribPointerARB() instead?

Quote:
Original post by PrestoChung
Is this usage compatible with using fragment shader?

of course.
however you should change gl*Pointer to glVertexAttribPointer (i think its not necessary tho)

actually i dont know wether you need a vertex shader, as i have never encountered a situation where i only needed a fragment shader.

LightHouse3D GLSL tutorial is quite good btw ;)
EDIT:
Quote:
IF you have a pair vertex/fragment of shaders you'll need to attach both to the program.

from lighthouse3d tut... looks like you dont need both. just try it.
but youll need a vertex shader anyway for interpolating the normal :PP

Quote:
Original post by blubberbert
of course.
however you should change gl*Pointer to glVertexAttribPointer (i think its not necessary tho)

Nope, it is not necessary, but it is a good idea, since generic vertex attributes are modern.

Thanks.

Any clue as to why glShaderSourceARB is crashing here? I adapted the file loading from this tutorial I had to change some things. Here's my adapted code:

inline Uint32 GetFileLength(std::ifstream& file_){
if(!file_.good()){
return 0;
}

file_.seekg(0, std::ios::end);
Uint32 len = file_.tellg();
file_.seekg(std::ios::beg);

return len;
}

Sint32 LoadShader(char* filename_, GLchar* source_){
std::ifstream file;
GLint len;

file.open(filename_, std::ios::in); //open ASCII
if(!file){
return -1;
}

len = GetFileLength(file);

if( len==0 ){
return -2; //Is empty
}

source_ = new GLchar[len+1];

if ( *source_==0 ){
return -3; //Memory not reserved
}

source_[len] = '\0';

Uint32 i = 0;

while( file.good() ){
source_[i] = (GLchar)file.get(); //Get character from file
if( !file.eof() ){
++i;
}
}

source_[i] = '\0'; //0-terminate at correct position

file.close();

return 0; //No errors
}

CompileShaders(){
GLhandleARB vshadehandle;
GLhandleARB fshadehandle;
GLcharARB* vshadesource=0;
GLcharARB* fshadesource=0;
vshadehandle = glCreateShaderObjectARB(GL_VERTEX_SHADER_ARB );
fshadehandle = glCreateShaderObjectARB(GL_FRAGMENT_SHADER_ARB );
LoadShader("vertshader.vert", vshadesource );
LoadShader("fragshader.frag", fshadesource );
glShaderSourceARB(vshadehandle, 1, (const GLcharARB**)&vshadesource, NULL); //<-----CRASH
glShaderSourceARB(fshadehandle, 1, (const GLcharARB**)&fshadesource, NULL);
glCompileShaderARB(vshadehandle);
glCompileShaderARB(fshadehandle);
}

check wether the extension is supported on your graphics card(it should be o.0)

anyway check your file loading code... it looks strange to me
Quote:
Original post by PrestoChung
if ( *source_==0 ){
return -3; //Memory not reserved
}

are you sure you want the content of source?? because after a new[] you dont know whats in there so why check it for 0?

Ah, yes thanks for catching that. The function in the tutorial had source as a GLchar**, I have changed it to GLchar* and missed to change that part.

Doesn't seem to be related to my crash error though.

How do I check that my video card supports it? I have a newer card Geforce GTS250 i think it is.

O, yea I have looked at that and GLEW has pulled in the proper extensions as far as I can see. I think it would tell me that the function is undefined if that was the problem.

Edit:
I just noticed in the debugger that the vshadesource and fshadesource pointers are still at 0 when I get to glShaderSourceARB so it must be a failure of of the loading function. I'll step through it and see what I can find out.

Fixed by passing the source pointer by reference. It looks funny though
Sint32 LoadShader(char* filename_, GLchar*& source_)

Compiled successfully. Now I just need to get glDrawElements to work without crashing.

Edit: Ack! forgot to create the shader program :)

It's working now but I'm a little confused because:

Even if my vert shader or frag shader does not compile, or contains and empty main function that does nothing, I still get some drawing.

I set 3 attrib pointers (interleaved), but nowhere do I specify that the first one is the position.

Does OpenGL automatically use the first attribute as a position vertex?

Otherwise I'm a little confused as to how it could know how to render my VBO data.

Might this have something to do with it? Quote from http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/tutorials/ClockworkCoders/attributes.php

Quote:
In other words, NVidia hardware indices are reserved for built-in attributes:
gl_Vertex 0
gl_Normal 2
gl_Color 3
gl_SecondaryColor 4
gl_FogCoord 5
gl_MultiTexCoord0 8
gl_MultiTexCoord1 9
gl_MultiTexCoord2 10
gl_MultiTexCoord3 11
gl_MultiTexCoord4 12
gl_MultiTexCoord5 13
gl_MultiTexCoord6 14
gl_MultiTexCoord7 15

When enable or set an attribute pointer
glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);
glVertexAttribPointer(0, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(TexNormVert), 0);

in this case attribute "0", whenever I use gl_Vertex in my shader source, it is looking at this attribute?

It seems to be so. When I use attribute 8 for the texture coordinate part of my Vertex
glEnableVertexAttribArray(8);
glVertexAttribPointer(8, 2, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(TexNormVert), (GLvoid*) (NULL + sizeof (GL_FLOAT) * 6) );

I suddenly get texture to display properly!

This shader code is generating an error C5052: gl_MultiTexCoord0 is not accessible in this profile

But at the same time the texture is rendering! I'm really mystified as to how this is possible.

vertshader.vert
void main()
{
gl_Position = ftransform();
}
fragshader.frag
uniform sampler2D tex;

void main()
{
gl_FragColor = texture2D(tex, gl_MultiTexCoord0);
}

Edit: updated a bit. Still no drawing visible:

Here is setup after shaders are compiled:
Shader_Program = glCreateProgramObjectARB();
glAttachObjectARB(Shader_Program, vshadehandle);
glAttachObjectARB(Shader_Program, fshadehandle);

glBindAttribLocationARB( Shader_Program, 0, "inVertex" );
glBindAttribLocationARB( Shader_Program, 1, "inNormal" );
glBindAttribLocationARB( Shader_Program, 2, "inTexCoord0" );
glBindFragDataLocation( Shader_Program, 0, "outFragColor" );

glLinkProgramARB( Shader_Program );
glUseProgramObjectARB( Shader_Program );

Here is building VAO and VBO for each object:
glGenVertexArrays(1, &Vao_Handle);
glBindVertexArray(Vao_Handle);

glGenBuffersARB(1, &Vbo_Handle);
glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, Vbo_Handle);
glBufferDataARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, sizeof(vertices[0])*vertices.size(), &vertices[0], GL_STATIC_DRAW_ARB);

glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);
glEnableVertexAttribArray(1);
glEnableVertexAttribArray(2);
glVertexAttribPointer(0, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(TexNormVert), 0);
glVertexAttribPointer(1, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_TRUE, sizeof(TexNormVert), (GLvoid*) (NULL + sizeof (GL_FLOAT) * 3) );
glVertexAttribPointer(2, 2, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(TexNormVert), (GLvoid*) (NULL + sizeof (GL_FLOAT) * 6) );

glBindBufferARB(GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, Vbo_Element_Index);

glBindVertexArray(0);

Then the drawing step:
glBindVertexArray(Vao_Handle);
glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, NumIndices(Portal_Walls.size()), GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, 0);
glBindVertexArray(0);

And right now the shaders are like so:
/////////Vertex Shader
#version 150

uniform mat4 ProjectionModelviewMatrix;
in vec4 inVertex;
in vec2 inTexCoord0;

out vec2 outTexCoord0;

void main()
{
gl_Position = ProjectionModelviewMatrix * inVertex;
outTexCoord0 = inTexCoord0;
}
/////////////Fragment Shader
#version 150

uniform sampler2D tex;

in vec2 outTexCoord0;

out vec4 outFragColor;

vec4 mycolor;

void main()
{
mycolor = texture2D(tex, outTexCoord0);

outFragColor = mycolor;
}

Screen is blank, no drawing at all.

[Edited by - PrestoChung on December 12, 2010 8:22:58 AM]

Since I can't use ftransform() I think I am not getting the Projection and Modelview Matrix to my shader properly.

I added this code before linking with:
glLinkProgramARB(Shader_Program)
GLfloat modelview[16]; 
glGetFloatv(GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, modelview);
GLfloat projection[16];
glGetFloatv(GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX, projection);
GLuint loc;
GLuint loc2;
loc = glGetUniformLocationARB(Component::Shader_Program,"ModelViewMatrix");
glUniform4fvARB(loc,4,modelview);
loc2 = glGetUniformLocationARB(Component::Shader_Program,"ProjectionMatrix");
glUniform4fvARB(loc2,4,projection);
Now I think I'll have to call some of these functions every frame if the view has changed? This is all a bit new to me as before I just called
gluLookAt()
and never had to touch the matrices directly.

This changes the vert shader to:
#version 150

uniform mat4 ProjectionMatrix;
uniform mat4 ModelviewMatrix;

in vec4 inVertex;
in vec2 inTexCoord0;

out vec2 outTexCoord0;

void main()
{
gl_Position = ProjectionMatrix * ModelviewMatrix * inVertex;
outTexCoord0 = inTexCoord0;
}

I suggest you upconvert your GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE to GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT. The reason is that I suspect it is not hw accelerated.
This page has the basic problems to avoid. It doesn't list about your case.

http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Common_Mistakes

Your case is here
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Vertex_Arrays

and at the bottom it says, Use 16 bit integer.
I'll update the Common Mistakes page.

For your
gluLookAt()
glTranslatef()
and all that shit, you can use a library such as my glhlib
http://glhlib.sourceforge.net

but that's Windows 32 bit only.

There are others such as the GLM
and many others over at
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=339189

My own glhlib looks like GL

float Matrix_3DNoiseTexture[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(Matrix_3DNoiseTexture);
glhTranslatef2(Matrix_3DNoiseTexture, Translate3DNoiseTexture[0], Translate3DNoiseTexture[1], Translate3DNoiseTexture[2]);
glhRotateAboutZf2(Matrix_3DNoiseTexture, Rotate3DNoiseTexture[2]);
glhRotateAboutYf2(Matrix_3DNoiseTexture, Rotate3DNoiseTexture[1]);
glhRotateAboutXf2(Matrix_3DNoiseTexture, Rotate3DNoiseTexture[0]);
glhScalef2(Matrix_3DNoiseTexture, Scale3DNoiseTexture, Scale3DNoiseTexture, Scale3DNoiseTexture);

All the functions are there. There are also the SSE versions for mass data processing.

Why would I want to get rid of glLookAt()?

I did change the indices to GLushort s but nothing happens still. They were working before.

Is this what I should call after updating the viewpoint?
CameraUpdate(){
glLoadIdentity();
gluLookAt( Pos_.X(), Pos_.Y(), Pos_.Z(),
Loo_.X(), Loo_.Y(), Loo_.Z(),
Up_.X(), Up_.Y(), Up_.Z() );

GLfloat modelview[16];
glGetFloatv(GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, modelview);
GLfloat projection[16];
glGetFloatv(GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX, projection);
GLuint loc;
GLuint loc2;
loc = glGetUniformLocationARB(Component::Shader_Program,"ModelViewMatrix");
glUniform4fvARB(loc,4,modelview);
loc2 = glGetUniformLocationARB(Component::Shader_Program,"ProjectionMatrix");
glUniform4fvARB(loc2,4,projection);
}

I noticed I have
glEnableClientState( GL_VERTEX_ARRAY );
glEnableClientState( GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY );
before rendering and
glDisableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
glDisableClientState(GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);
after rendering.

Should these be removed if I am trying to use generic vertex attributes?

One thing I noticed is a glGetError 1280 (invalid enum) that occurs after this line
glGetProgramivARB(Component::Shader_Program, GL_LINK_STATUS, &linked);
This would seem to indicate that GL_LINK_STATUS is not a valid enum for this function. Is there an ARB version of this enum? If so, what is it? GL_LINK_STATUS_ARB seems to be invalid.