Sign in to follow this  
CaximusPrime

Minecraft Servers

Hey,

from what I have read MineCraft is made by 1 person? I see on the site there are over 1000 servers. How does 1 person have this many servers? Are people hosting them for free? Just would like to know because I was thinking of renting a server for my own game,

cheers

Haven't played Minecraft but I presume the developer is making money for the servers from the sales of the game.

How can he afford that? Does it not cast around €500 per year to rent a server machine per year? Would cost around €500,000 per year in total. Maybe there are cheaper ways?

Checked the website, I think those servers don't mean actual hardware servers, just sort of chunks the game is split up in to. Think of some MMORPG if you have played any, those do the same. An actual hardware server might actually host like 10 or 50 or 100 (no idea about the numbers, just guessing) in-game servers.

Minecraft is not an MMO.
Its more like online multiplayer building game.

The author of minecraft just provide the server software (for free), anyone can download the server software and run it on their own physical server.

This means the author does not have to provide the (physical) servers himself, he makes money from people buying the client needed for connecting to all those servers.

It was started by one guy. These days, because they're making money, it's being developed by a company with half a dozen employees (not all programmers, I'm sure). Also, being distributed on Steam means you save a bunch of time in not having to do all the things Steam does for you.

The servers are servers run by players -- similar to how you'd host a game of Quake, or Counter-Strike, or something.

And, really -- if one person is economically successful, running 1,000 servers isn't that hard. Suppose, in bulk, each server costs $50/month, then you have to pull in $50,000 per month to cover 1,000 servers, which is totally possible even for a small, successful business. But, as has been said, in this case, those servers are not run by the Minecraft producers, so they don't have that problem.

CaximusPrime: Yes, people are hosting them for free. It's not a MMORPG, where all the servers are connect; it's more like a FPS, where there are only 20-30 people on a server, and anyone can host one.

When I play, I host a private server so I can play privately with people I know. I only run the server when we are playing, since it saves the world and then loads the world again when the server starts up. It's easy, and Minecraft doesn't take alot of processing power; if I wanted to, I could probably have 5 Minecraft servers running on my computer just fine without lag - and it's not a super incredible computer.

If the Minecraft creator wanted to host them himself, he'd probably only need 50-100 computers (just guessing) each running 10-15 Minecraft servers. (Since the word "server" can refer to physical computers that host software, and the word "server" refers to the software itself, you have to realize which is meant based on the context it's being used in)
Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
It was started by one guy. These days, because they're making money, it's being developed by a company with half a dozen employees (not all programmers, I'm sure). Also, being distributed on Steam means you save a bunch of time in not having to do all the things Steam does for you.

Minecraft isn't on Steam - all it's sales were from it's website alone.
Once it gets out of Alpha, and then out of Beta, that may be a different story. But for right now, it's not on any online store (as far as I know).

Quote:
Original post by Servant of the Lord
When I play, I host a private server so I can play privately with people I know. I only run the server when we are playing, since it saves the world and then loads the world again when the server starts up. It's easy, and Minecraft doesn't take alot of processing power; if I wanted to, I could probably have 5 Minecraft servers running on my computer just fine without lag - and it's not a super incredible computer.

It doesn't require much CPU time, but it's heavy on memory. Since it has to hold the nearby chunks for every player in memory the memory requirements for a server are directly related to your max player number.

IIRC the rough calculate is about 32Mb for the first player plus 24Mb for each additional player (worst case, obviously if everyone's in the same place the actual usage is lower). With 700k users, he'd need a heck of a lot more than 100 computers if he wanted to run the servers himself.

Quote:
Original post by CaximusPrime
So if I want to play I have to run a server?

& If I want to play with friends they can play on my server?

Minecraft has singeplayer mode, then you do not need any server.

In multiplayer mode you can connected to a list of public server (I seen a list somewhere, probably on the minecraft website).
You can also connect to a arbitrary server (probably run by one of your friends or yourself).

Yupp, it's easy to run a temporary Minecraft server for you and some friends while you're playing. Just be "democratic" and let the person with the best connection and computer of the group host it. ;-)

To be sure, there are presumably way more servers than on the official list, being temporary private servers for the above purpose.