What game engine?

Started by
6 comments, last by Zakwayda 13 years, 4 months ago
Hello.

I am having some trouble picking a game engine. I have looked at a bunch and still can't choose which one to go with. I want to make a 3D game. I know most people say to stay away from 3D games, and to work on 2D games, but I am a 3D modeler and making a game in 3D would be easier then a 2D game for me. I am thinking about making a game in Unity 3D because I can sell my game without giving anything to the devs until I make a few thousand, but Unity 3D uses Java/C#. I have heard not to mess with such languages, and to only stick with C++. I know a little bit of C++ but not much. Should the fact that it uses Java/c# worry me? Does anyone think another engine is better?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ARKaMANI have heard not to mess with such languages, and to only stick with C++.
Ignore that advice; the people who give it are usually at best misguided, at worst complete idiots.

C++ is the language most used by industry professionals, and not always for things such as tools where languages such as C#, Java or Python are increasingly common. The reasons these people pick C++ almost certainly don't apply to you, and include
  • Lack of compiler support for other languages on the platforms they target.
  • A large existing workforce who know and are experienced with C++.
  • Large existing code-bases already written in C++.

Other languages such as C# are perfectly capable of producing games just as good as those made with C++, and are (as already mentioned) seeing increasing use by professionals for tools development, and will probably gradually be used to make more actual game code as well. They're also much more commonly used by hobbyist and independent developers.

Consider also that programming skills transfer relatively painlessly from one language to another -- yes, you'll have to learn new keywords and syntax, maybe some different idioms -- but the programming skills you learn with one language (especially your first properly learned) will make it much easier to pick up additional languages if you wish to do so later. That means that if you learn C# now you'll be able to pick up C++ at a later stage.

So, with all that out of the way, Unity is a very capable tool, and I would suggest that it sounds like an excellent option for you. If you wanted something slightly lower level you could also consider C#/XNA as a possible alternative.

Hope that helps! [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by ARKaMAN
Hello.

I am having some trouble picking a game engine. I have looked at a bunch and still can't choose which one to go with. I want to make a 3D game. I know most people say to stay away from 3D games, and to work on 2D games, but I am a 3D modeler and making a game in 3D would be easier then a 2D game for me. I am thinking about making a game in Unity 3D because I can sell my game without giving anything to the devs until I make a few thousand, but Unity 3D uses Java/C#. I have heard not to mess with such languages, and to only stick with C++. I know a little bit of C++ but not much. Should the fact that it uses Java/c# worry me? Does anyone think another engine is better?

Unity3D.

As far as it using c#, that doesn't matter. It gets to a point where a person can use any language because they have the theoretical knowledge. The syntax can be picked up in a day. If you are not at that point yet, then the programming part might be difficult for you at first, with any game engine.
They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!
If you are willing to spend some time and with Unity and C# or Java I think it's a wise decision. The bang for the buck with Unity is great. A friend of mine work as an animator and is using Unity to build games. Try to start there and see where it goes :)
--Secret of Time - Download your free copy at http://www.secretoftime.net
I think now the best choice for a beginner is unity 3d.And don't worry about the programming in unity you can use &#106avascript(that don't seems JAVA).&#106avascript's more easy than C# I think better start whit this<br><br>GooD Luck:)
"Call me crazy in a world where genius create bombs" .: -=|J.Ð.|Gä(/)ëÐ맡gÑ||=- :.
Quote:Original post by Lucas Daltro
I think now the best choice for a beginner is unity 3d.And don't worry about the programming in unity you can use &#106avascript(that don't seems JAVA).&#106avascript's more easy than C# I think better start whit this<br><br>GooD Luck:)<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br><br>rofl you can use &#106avascript with Unity? Are you sure? O_o<br><br>Even if that's the case, I'd still say stick with c#. &#106avascript will just frustrate him...but then again he won't be working with the DOM will he? ;o
They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!
Unity advices you to use &#106avascript(it's more easy than c#)
That's a &#106avascript code:<br><pre><br>function Update() {<br>print("Hi!");<br>}<br></pre><br>And this is the same code using c#<br><pre><br>using UnityEngine;<br>using System.Collections;<br><br>public class example : MonoBehaviour {<br><br>void Update() {<br>print("Hi!");<br>}<br>}<br></pre><br>But if you're more conformable using c# you don't will lost anything.Someone like c# because they can use Visual Studio IDE,but for me notepad++ is great for me
"Call me crazy in a world where genius create bombs" .: -=|J.Ð.|Gä(/)ëÐ맡gÑ||=- :.
Quote:Original post by Fl4sh
rofl you can use &#106avascript with Unity? Are you sure? O_o
One of the supported scripting languages in Unity is UnityScript, which is specific to the Unity environment, but is similar to some &#106avascript-like languages.<br><br>Unfortunately, Unity Technology has historically referred to this language as '&#106avascript', which has caused a fair amount of confusion (and which is why you'll often hear it referred to by that name).<!--QUOTE--><BLOCKQUOTE><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><table border=0 cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width="95%"><tr><td class=quote><!--/QUOTE--><!--STARTQUOTE--><i>Original post by Lucas Daltro</i><br>Unity advices you to use &#106avascript(it's more easy than c#)<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE-->Where is that advise given? Can you provide a link?<br><br>(Even if that is stated somewhere, I wouldn't take it too seriously.)<!--QUOTE--><BLOCKQUOTE><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><table border=0 cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width="95%"><tr><td class=quote><!--/QUOTE--><!--STARTQUOTE-->That's a &#106avascript code:<br><pre><br>function Update() {<br>print("Hi!");<br>}<br></pre><br>And this is the same code using c#<br><pre><br>using UnityEngine;<br>using System.Collections;<br><br>public class example : MonoBehaviour {<br><br>void Update() {<br>print("Hi!");<br>}<br>}<br></pre><!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE-->The UnityScript code is more compact than the equivalent C# code because UnityScript does a lot of things 'under the hood' for you. However, not everyone would consider that to be an advantage.<br><br>It's also worth noting that UnityScript is specific to Unity, while C# is broadly applicable, so that's something else to take into consideration when choosing a language for use with Unity. (As is often pointed out, learning new languages is generally not a problem for an experienced developer, but personally I wouldn't be too interested in learning a language that can &#111;nly be used as-is in &#111;ne environment when there are other, more general alternatives available.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement