Sign in to follow this  
Neeneko

[web] Hosting Question.

Ok, maybe this will be a more answerable question.

I am currently going through various tutorials and am blogging about the process (via blogger). Blogger does not support nativity including code nor final results (HTML5 Canvas and Flex, so pages with javascript and swf files).

My initial through was it would be nice to have a little wiki that I can link to that can contain pages with the final working examples and links to source files. I has the original suggestion of using Google Sites which is looking to be great for organizing and hosting individual files, but does NOT allow having runnable examples right in-page, which while not necessary would be kinda nice. I see that you can create a 'gadget' to do the same job, but that is yet another layer that I would prefer to avoid for such simple examples.

So I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for alternative free sites that might meet my needs? I only expect maybe 2 visitors so going with my own server or a paid site seems kinda excessive.

It's not free, but the pay-for-what-you-use model offered by NearlyFreeSpeech would let you do this at very low cost. They have a pricing estimator which can help you get an idea of costs; I did a rough estimate based on your description (1 site with static content, using 50MB of storage and 1024 MB of bandwidth (i.e. enough for 20 visits to your site each month) and 1 domain") and got a total cost of $22.30 per year. From the sounds of it you'd probably use less storage than that.

I don't know of any free services that would meet your needs, but I'm sure others will be able to provide suggestions. [smile]

@jbadams

Thanks for the pointer. If my needs expand I will keep it in mind.

For the short term, I found a way to combine Blogger and Sites so that I can play HTML5 and Flex stuff, at least well enough to show working examples of things I am babbling about.