Sign in to follow this  
HeadClot

Making a VTT (Virtual Table Top) to fit my needs

HeadClot    122
Ok, so I have recently decided to get my hands dirty and start Learning how to Program.

My First major project that i decided to do is a Virtual Table Top. I am a huge Player of games such as D&D,Pathfinder, World of Darkness, and the Fate System.

Now here come my questions -

I am wanting do do this project but make it simple and integrate each part that i make into one solid Program. What Programing language should I use?

I have been Considering:

javascript
C#
Lua

I am also looking to make it MultiUser friendly so I want to keep that in mind when i make the VTT. Basically what i wanted to do with this app is Use the Wii Whiteboard App to act as a Multi User interface combined with a Projector that displays the image of the dungeon, city, or a Overland Map on the wall.

Would multiple IR pens be able to be tracked by one Wii remote or should i use something different?

I am planning each program out separately then planning on integrating them into one seamless app.

Is this a good idea to do or not in planning the application?

I am just a newbie with this coding stuff but any help would be appreciated :)

xytor    136
Wait.. you've just recently learned how to program and now you want to write a complicated graphical program that interfaces with the Wii?

Try again in a few years. In the meantime, choose less ambitious projects.

HeadClot    122
Quote:
Original post by xytor
Wait.. you've just recently learned how to program and now you want to write a complicated graphical program that interfaces with the Wii?

Try again in a few years. In the meantime, choose less ambitious projects.

I think I wrote it out a bit fast previously.

http://www.wiimoteproject.com/index.php

I am NOT programing for the Wii. I am programing for PC. Please see the above link.

I am simply using the Wii remote as a way to read the "Input" From the IR pens that I am using. I can use a maximum of 4 IR pens to create a multi-user interface.

The Application I am planning Has a very simple GUI from the start. Making the various Illustrations and the like should not be a problem for me.

My overall plan was to Integrate these into a Overall "Virtual Table Top"

Here are the components -

Dice Tool

A program that generates random results for the following kind of dice.

20 sided {Results Between 1 and 20}

12 sided {Results Between 1 and 12}

10 sided {Results Between 1 and 10}

6 sided {Results Between 1 and 6}

3 sided die (also known as a percentile dice)

The Dice tool is the first thing on my to do list. I am not going to clog up the forums with the rest of my ramblings.

Now I will ask the question again. Which Programing language should I use?

javascript

C#

Lua

I want to use a language that is compact but powerful and is easy to edit. I would not mind C# nor would I mind the others (javascript and Lua)

But I want to make my program.

On another note is it possible that you can include .SWF Files into a GUI?

If so how?

I want them as a use-able part of the Graphical User Interface. Not just for show.

Noggs    141
If you want a Flash GUI on your app then there's not many options. You can fork out a lot of money for Scaleform, attempt to hook up a couple of C++ libraries which do a similar job (gameswf).

To be honest though, seeing as you're new to this programming thing, why not write the whole app in Flash/Actionscript? You have the GUI built in, and a quick search revealed a lot of resources for using Wiimote in flash apps.

Or you could get stuck in with Silverlight which seems pretty nifty.