2D Top-down multiplayer-style shooter

Started by
1 comment, last by jacksaccountongamedev 13 years, 4 months ago
Here’s a project that has been going on/off/slowly for more than five years. Unfortunately, since my life is now occupied by university studies in a non-related field, there’s not much time or motivation to finish this game. Thus, I thought I’d post the current build here on Gamedev on the chance that others might enjoy what is done or even motivate me to begin working on it again over the holiday break.

It's a 2D top-down team-based shooter. This version is single-player only and features one capture-the-flag map. The screenshots tell the story:

Controls are mouse for aiming and shooting and WSAD for movement. F changes weapon.

Pressing N will allow you to cycle through viewing the computer players with some cryptic on-screen information about their AI.

Download here. Download size is negligible (362kb). RAR format.

Thanks for reading/playing!

Jackson Allan
Advertisement
Very nice!

Need the camera to focus on the player-controlled unit when it respawns. Kinda annoying having to cycle through all the players to get to it - will give away opponent positions as well (if you plan on going multiplayer).

You might wanna hide the mouse cursor as its very distracting.. kinda acts like a second crosshair. :s

Awesome AI... very cool to watch. :)

Game is screaming for some awesome positional sound effects.

Hi Mybowlcut, thanks for playing.

The camera actually does automatically follow the player after he dies. It just takes a few seconds to respawn, which is supposed to be punishment for dieing.

The game usually has sound, at least for testing purposes. I just had to take them out before posting because they are all borrowed from Soldat.

The AI has probably been the largest part of development. Although I started with multiplayer in mind, the game quickly turned into an arena for me to experiment with AI techniques. I'm pretty happy with the cat-and-mouse style combat that has been the result.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement