A strange dilemma, need help!

Started by
15 comments, last by Obscure 13 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by falconandeagle
1. will I be eligible to work in major game companies if I have an outstanding port folio
2. or will they still prefer guys from colleges like DigiPen.
3. How easy or hard is to get a relocation package from a game company?

1. Eligible? Yes.
2. PLEASE read this forum's FAQ!
3. VERY HARD. Please read this forum's FAQ.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Quote:Original post by Fenrisulvur
Quote:Original post by yaustar
1. A 4-year degree is a better door-opener. You should read this forum's FAQ (click small View Forum FAQ link, above). You'll also find tips for making decisions in the FAQ.

Not every country's degrees are 4 years. In the UK at least, a degree is 3 years.

That's without honours, right? (Hint: do honours)

Huh? What? What are "honours"? Do they add time? Obviously I don't know anything about the education system in your country.

Oh, right. Clicky.

This page gives a generic overview of honours at the university I'm attending, though I wasn't aware of any faculties offering the latter two bullet points. My understanding of honours is an extra year structured as half coursework, half research project set and mentored by an academic. Entry is competitive.

There are some four-year courses offered here, most of the engineering degrees come to mind. I don't think Science or Arts degrees are offered as four-year degrees, though. Mind, double-degrees or "combined" degrees such as Arts/Science, Engineering/IT, etc are available and span 5 or more years - I'm planning an IT/Science.
My understanding of honours is an extra year structured as half coursework, half research project set and mentored by an academic.

So if honours are "included" in a 3-year degree, is that a 2-year degree plus the extra year? Or does it still work out to 4 years? And when you say it's competitive, does that mean some people do the degree without doing the honours? And if they do, does that mean they do 3 years?

Quote:Original post by yaustar
1. A 4-year degree is a better door-opener. You should read this forum's FAQ (click small View Forum FAQ link, above). You'll also find tips for making decisions in the FAQ.

Not every country's degrees are 4 years. In the UK at least, a degree is 3 years.

That's without honours, right? (Hint: do honours)

That is with Honours.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

My understanding of honours is an extra year structured as half coursework, half research project set and mentored by an academic.

So if honours are "included" in a 3-year degree, is that a 2-year degree plus the extra year? Or does it still work out to 4 years?

It shouldn't be "included" in a 3-year degree at all - that's known as Doing It Wrong. In my view it's not a true honours programme unless it's an additional year primarly concerned with an academic research project. Anything else is a bastardization of the very idea.

And when you say it's competitive, does that mean some people do the degree without doing the honours? And if they do, does that mean they do 3 years?

Yes.

They're pretty average students almost by definition, though. I don't know how pretty average students could make it in the games industry.
And when you say it's competitive, does that mean some people do the degree without doing the honours? And if they do, does that mean they do 3 years?

Yes.
They're pretty average students almost by definition, though. I don't know how pretty average students could make it in the games industry.

Glad to hear it. And glad to have clarification on this aspect of education of which I'd been unaware. I guess it's pretty much like what we call "work/study" over here.

I don't know how pretty average students could make it in the games industry.

They won't. Schools don't tell their students but only the top students actually end up working in games. The average students end up in multi-media or similar fields.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement