Sign in to follow this  
vmoreno3049

Different API Libraries for Xbox and PS3?

I am wondering what the differences are between API libraries used to create games for Xbox and PS3. I have read that the source code for many games (like Madden and COD) is the same, but that each software company has to call on different APIs to make their programs run on each console. Is there an example of these APIs out there? I want to make sure that when I program my games, I can use the right ones.

Thanks!

Both APIs are entirely proprietary, and covered by NDA. You aren't likely to find samples.
There are differences like: PS3 supplies an OpenGL ES style graphics API, while the X360 supplies a DirectX9 style graphics API.
And, the PS3 is a IBM Cell processor, while the X360 is a Xenon. Thus engines will leverage the appropriate assembly on either platform.

Assuming you have an unpatched PS3 Origional, you have access to the "OtherOS" feature to program in linux on the PS3. For the X360, there is XNA game studio to play around on the XBOX with.

The code of game likes COD looks the same of each console because in their game engine they have an abstraction layer, so they run on different consoles with different APIs, but the low-level graphic code is different.

XBOX DirectX-like API belongs to Microsoft, PS3 OpenGL-like API belongs to Sony. When you buy the Development kit of one of those consoles you receive a copy of the API, etc.