Sign in to follow this  
Fl4sh

Trigonometry areas of interest

Hi,

I'm currently reading through this trigonometry book and atm, I just want to go over what's essential for game dev. I'll go over the whole thing eventually (to get my money's worth, ya know?) but right now I wanna attack the core subjects. ;o

I was able to pull up my book on amazon, take a look at the table of contents.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Math-Trigonometry/dp/1598639854/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291676757&sr=8-1

Quote:
Original post by PrestoChung
Don't take my word for it but you might want to avoid trig functions where you can and use linear algebra instead.

Well I find it fun. As a matter of fact, I find it so fun that I'm thinking about majoring in mathematics for my bachelors. :D

Quote:
all the trig you'll need to know for game dev is just sin and cosine

I'd say that's a bit restrictive and doesn't cover what is essential for game development by any means. E.g., there are lots of uses for the arccosine and arctangent concepts in determining angles between sides of triangles (cleverly disguised as vectors). Determining the "core" subjects for "game dev" depends entirely on what you eventually want to accomplish. The less you learn now, the more you'll have to learn later as you want to progress beyond the more basic game styles.