Sign in to follow this  
DalexL

Utilizing .net languages as a scripting language

I wanted to use both C# and VB.net as two scripting languages for a game I have in development. Lua will be the main language that I will be using but wanted an option for my clients to work with .net languages (as states above) to interact with heaver components of the game such as server handling etc. I was going to have the C# and VB.net compiled by the .net compilers and turn them into libraries (similar to plugins in programs such as Paint.net).

After thinking it through, there *might* be some security issues involved here. The servers may be run on a clients computer so I don't want to cause any problems such as naughty clients getting funny and making things that spread, spam, or otherwise harm the clients computer. I want to be able to disable a couple of things that are normally used by these languages such as file saving and stream writing.

Basically, I was wondering if this was a feasible idea or if I should look for something else. Is there perhaps a compiler located conveniently for this purpose already out there? I can't find anything else of the exact subject.

Thanks.

.NET has very powerful security mechanisms built-in. You could run the plugins at partial trust and even block things like IO. I suggest you look up security in the .NET framework to see all the options that are available. But sufice to say your security worries have built-in solutions.