Sign in to follow this  
TheAsterite

Basic structure of a 3d game engine

I've been wanting to make a game engine, and I believe I'm in the last stages of planning it in my mind before I write the design down on paper. The engine will be in c++ in DirectX 10. I am very familiar with advance techniques in c++, and know how to use data structures. I've picked up several books on 3D math and graphics programming, and have a pretty good idea of how to start the rendering side. I've also had some experience programming a couple games using various engines in my university's game developers club, and I want to know if the basic structure I'm gonna use is sound.

The game engine is going to start with a Game Manager that keeps track of timing and objects in the game. These objects will store the vertices, know how to draw themselves in normal space, and know where they're going to be in the world, and how they're going to be updated. The game engine will also hold the world environment. These objects will be linked with the "render engine" so to speak, which will consist of the graphics, camera, and whatnot. They'll also be linked with a sound engine that'll keep track of music, sound effects, etc. This is just the basic overall structure that I'm writing here, I'm not worried about optimization techniques here right now.

So am I going on the right track? Or is there another way things are generally done.