Help with getting started.

Started by
5 comments, last by Pomnico 13 years, 4 months ago
I am just learning to program and have recently become 'stuck'.
I have a decent understanding of the basics such as integers, but I don't know where to go from here.
I am assuming that next I would move on to GUI, but I can't find a tutorial for it. Also, I don't understand entirely how to use the libraries. I am using panda 3d, but I can't figure out how to use it.
As far as I know, the library creates a 3d world, imports models, and lets you manipulate them, but I can't figure out how.
Help?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Tirian888
I have a decent understanding of the basics such as integers, but I don't know where to go from here.
I am assuming that next I would move on to GUI, but I can't find a tutorial for it. Also, I don't understand entirely how to use the libraries. I am using panda 3d, but I can't figure out how to use it.
As far as I know, the library creates a 3d world, imports models, and lets you manipulate them, but I can't figure out how.
Help?

Well I suggest you first get an understanding _past_ integers because this really isn't knowledge about programming. When you further understand programming you will figure out how to use libraries eventually, basic thing is:

- Link the library files
- Include the headers for the library files

Anyway, if you want to suddenly jump into 3D programming there's more than just programming you need to know. You need to start to brush up your math skills because 3D programming even if you're not making a game still involves math; vector math to be precise. Of course not only vector math but it is a big part of it.

Just continue playing with the programming language before jumping into any more advanced stuff.
If I've helped you in any way please push the reputation button, thanks!

Abstraction is my choice of words.
Portfolio: http://www.0x3a.com/
Blog: http://blog.0x3a.com/
Quote:Original post by Tirian888
Help?

Something like "such as integers" really doesn't give us any idea of what level your programming skills have reached. Could you describe a program you've made before, what exposure you've had in learning programming, what language you're using, etc.?

Making a GUI is going to depend largely on what platform you want to develop for, and the libraries that you use. Want to program on Windows? DirectX is an option, but you might be better off starting with simple interfaces in SDL or SFML before you tackle something else.

As for Panda3D, I don't use it myself so I won't be much help to you there. But I will suggest that you not work much with 3D right now. I'm guessing from your post that you're quite new and have little programming experience, in which case it will be difficult to jump into 3D, but much easier to make little 2D games for practice.

But whether I'm right about that or not, a more specific question will be a lot more useful on these forums than "I can't get it to work." The latter will probably get you advice to read the Panda3D documentation, while questions about more specific problems can get you solutions.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

I finished two or three of the tutorials that assume that you know absolutely nothing, and every tutorial leaves a "gap" between that and game programming, without leaving a next step. What do I do now?
I would recommend doing small projects for yourself. Like making a console based handman, rock paper scissors or yatzi. something simple. Apply the skills you have learned to make a game, if you cant imagine it right away dont fret just keep trying. Break the problem down into smaller and smaller bits until you feel like you can imagine how you can program it. If you still have problems look into how to make a flow chart and go from there.

Then after you make a few simple consol games move on to a simple 2D API like sfml. Make another simple game in 2d. Perhaps pong or asteroids, something simple. It very important to finish the games. It will give you renewed strength to keep going

Video Game Programmer.
5 years in industry.

Saying you have a basic understanding of integers is like saying you just memorized the numbers one through ten and you now want to do advanced calculus. You're skipping many steps.

Write a couple of small programs, maybe write a basic calculator that can add, subtract, multiply, etc. You could also write a temperature converter.

Then try something a bit more advanced, maybe start off with a game like hangman, like Net-Ninja suggested, then move on to Battleships.

Once all of those projects are done, you can pick up a library like SFML and write some basic 2D games. Tic Tac Toe, Pong, Space Invaders. Pac Man if you want a bit of a challenge. At this point you should have a good enough knowledge to chose your next steps on your own.

PS: I've recently started 2D game programming and I found SFML the easiest to learn and use. I also tried Allegro and SDL but I didn't like them very much.
I agree with AdrianC and Net-Ninja. You definitely DO NOT want to jump into 3D at the moment, believe me. If you have just finished some tutorials (I assume you understood them exactly), you probably know basics of syntax, basic functions, etc.

What you should do next is learn how to use that knowledge to solve some simple problems, like converting temperature etc. It is important that you choose quite simple tasks at the beginning, so you can solve them alone. Do not search for tutorials on task you selected. Instead try to figure it out yourself.

You have to learn how to discover solutions alone. That doesn't mean you must not ask for help, but ask about specific problems. Ask about parts of your solution you have no idea how to solve, instead of whole problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement