World'S Favorite Videogames Chosen By The People

Started by
41 comments, last by IceP42 13 years ago
I forgot to mention it, but you can also rank your games by decades ('70s, '80s, '90s and 2000s are available).

I'm 30 and I finished Chrono Trigger last year on the DS. It was pretty good but not mind blowing. But I think that if I played it back in 1995, it would probably be a classic to me. Too bad I guess.
Advertisement
I'll give the site a look, since it can be a real gold mine for someone who wants to deepen their knowledge of the gamers as a demography.

On Chrono Trigger by Square, awesome game and really innovated the JRPG genre (though perhaps because it was directed for more Western audience) at the time, without storyline or other aspects of the game getting hit. I kind of approve the Abandonware movement; since Chrono Trigger and SNES is out of production and has been for a decade or so, try downloading Zsnes (emulator, with grpahic engine that inter/extrapolate pixels (much better solution than anti-aliasing), games look a much better than originally) and ROMs for it.

I am very surprised that Final Fantasy IX did not make it. Are the new kids not playing PS I games because of the crappy graphics. Very stupid reason... the graphic competition IMO killed much of game design innovation during the past 7 years.

I am wondering why these are missing besides those already mentioned (though it might just be that I am too old): Ultima VIII or VII, Megaman III or IV from the saga, Secret of Mana, Killer Instinct (if I recall correctly, it introduced combo chaining, chain breaks and other modern aspects that came after special moves in combat games), Grand Theft Auto, Yoshi Island (showed what can be done with SNES tech), MoO2, Settlers II or III, from Sim series, not any of the SimCities but the Sims, Resident Evil 4 is ok but Resident Evil I was a lot better at the time.
Quote:Original post by Morri
I'll give the site a look, since it can be a real gold mine for someone who wants to deepen their knowledge of the gamers as a demography.

I am very surprised that Final Fantasy IX did not make it. Are the new kids not playing PS I games because of the crappy graphics. Very stupid reason... the graphic competition IMO killed much of game design innovation during the past 7 years.

I am wondering why these are missing besides those already mentioned (though it might just be that I am too old): Ultima VIII or VII, Megaman III or IV from the saga, Secret of Mana, Killer Instinct (if I recall correctly, it introduced combo chaining, chain breaks and other modern aspects that came after special moves in combat games), Grand Theft Auto, Yoshi Island (showed what can be done with SNES tech), MoO2, Settlers II or III, from Sim series, not any of the SimCities but the Sims, Resident Evil 4 is ok but Resident Evil I was a lot better at the time.

FF IX is ranked 17th

All the games you guys mentioned are there, but they just lower down the list. Right 1436 games have ranked by 591 gamers. Older games will go up the list when more older gamers share their Top 25.
I think they will eventually, but only when the site gets more credibility.

Where is FF VIII...

There is no way IX or X should have beaten that. sigh :(

But Ocarina of Time is like a sibling to me, so I'm happy about that.
Quote:Original post by IceP42
Quote:Original post by Morri

FF IX is ranked 17th

All the games you guys mentioned are there, but they just lower down the list. Right now 1436 games have ranked by 591 gamers. Older games will go up the list when more older gamers share their Top 25.
I think they will eventually, but only when the site gets more credibility.

Wow, we have Dan 'Shoe' Hsu from Bitmob, former EGM and 1up, sharing his top games on the site.
That's pretty cool:
http://www.unikgamer.com/members/bitmobshoe-594.html
I can't fill out the list, you're missing half of my favorite games....

No "Liberty or Death" "Indianapolis 500: The Simulation" "Detroit" "NCAA Basketball" (the 3d one on snes) even modern games like "Hearts and Irons" and "Superpower" is missing...

fail.
486ing for life

http://www.gearcity.info/
http://www.ventdev.com/
Hm...of the top of my head...I haven't really played *that* much games, mostly demos&shareware and in most of them I give up when they start to become repetitive.

1)Grim Fandango
2)Day Of The Tentacle
3)Sam&Max
4)HalfLife
5)Oblivion
6)Broken Sword
7)Street Fighter 2-3
8)Ocarina Of Time
9)Crystal Caves
10)F-Zero(X)
11)Wipeout
12)Lemmings
13)Solar Winds
14)Any game with mario in it...mostly Mario World for the old 4-color gameboy I think?
15)Worms
16)Duke Nukem(the first 2D one by Apogee)

That's all I can remember anyway.

Ps. One funny thing I remember...about the time that the Doom-mania was all over, I had just a 286 with 60MB harddrive and monochrome monitor...so I was reading magazines about it and in every one there were featured game levels along with photos of top-down view of the maps...so I was always like...
"wtf are these people playing, how is this fun???"...I had to wait until Doom95 to figure out what was all that fuss about :P

And oh shit, I forgot MDK. MDK rules.
@IceP42: Sorry my bad, I read it as Final Fantasy X...

@mikeman: Yes, Grim Fandango etc. I forgot from my list.
That site needs a Arcade category, with a listing of real arcade games (not just console ports) :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement