City Size in RPGs

Started by
16 comments, last by adrix89 13 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by JamesPenny
Holy crap, a fantasy city sim sounds awesome. Try to attract heroes to trade there to boost your economy, invasions by monster, guild politics, magic. I would buy this.

They've made this game (sort of, it's actually much simpler than what you describe), it's called Final Fantasy: My Life as King, it's Wiiware.

Back to the topic at hand though, I think the kind of game you want to design is what D&D players would call an 'Urban Adventure' - everything takes place in the city. No need for many (if any), outside environments, all the quests, NPCs, adventure sites, etc, are all located within the city.

That being said, I think when you consider just the massive size of a city, you don't want players to have to walk through countless residential neighborhoods full of locked doors (unless you want to spend years making each house, even then there likely wouldn't be anything relevant to the game in each one.)

From my experience, the best way I've seen to implement a big city is to subdivide it into sections, and take a 'snapshot' if you will of each section, say a 5x5 block square where important things will happen, they do this kind of thing in Neverwinter Nights and other more recent RPGs. That way you get a nice bit of the city's flavor, plenty of room for NPCs and quest locations, and not a lot of needless running around.
Advertisement
Cities seem to work for the action/driving games because their maze-like structure helps provide the challenge for the whole race/chase/evade gameplay. I can see crowds working in a similar way, acting as a kind of "strategic terrain" for the player's actions. I think, though, that you need lots of worthwhile actions to justify such a large size. Real cities are quite repetitive and so are the citizens within them (at a very basic, abstract level). So one thing I'd concentrate on is making the citizens into archetypes (guard, beggar, priest, noble etc.) which present a strategic challenge when mixed in varying concentrations in the different areas. One or two beggars, for instance, near a noble and guard might offer a chance at distraction or intervention in order to raise your reputation. If you could predict things about their behavior streets could be akin to random strategy maps.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I like that concept quite a lot wave.
Another suggestion would be to keep the NPCs nameless and mostly unresponsive if spoken too. That allows you to create a large number of them for the same of filling the streets and creating that tactical situation without distracting from the important NPCs. You could also assign houses to each at random and have TES: Oblivion style AI wandering, but lock the houses. At any point, if a new important and named NPC is needed, you can change a nameless one into him, guide the player to him, and maybe allow him access to that particular house.

The whole idea would be to make the player feel like there was a lot there without wasting development time actually making it. Procedural content could also be used very heavily in this sort of situation.
Something to keep in mind about cities that most games usually fail to notice: Cities are densely populate.

Another thing to consider if you're doing a medieval setting is that cities usually were very small, only a few thousand people to a good sized 'city', and they were notable due to their population density. 2-8000 for a good sized city on a few hundred acres.

If you are going to build a city in your game, then it should look like a city! Oblivion is a great example of how NOT to do a city, especially one in a medieval like setting. The buildings are large, spread out, and there aren't many people wandering around. A real city would have had the entire capital from Oblivion in a space smaller than one of its zones.

This has two main effects:
1. By packing in the people into a smaller space, it gives you the feeling of it actually being a city. Most of the people don't have to actually do anything, just make it look like they are going about your day. (NPCs that you actually care about can be denoted by their better clothing, or more notable location.)
2. Reduces the time you spend moving between points of interest. Yes, putting time into a city to develop it better means you can then spend less time moving through it. If you are going to the work to make a realistic city, then you are going to have more shops and things the player is going to be interested in a smaller area. Rather than having all the shops spread over the city, you're likely going to condense them down so all shops of a similar type are in an area. Games like Oblivion make you walk farther than you really should because they have so few buildings that they end up having to spread them out in an attempt to make it look 'big'.

The thing most games have really lacked is the 'extras' from movies. Would you believe a movie if it were set in New York at rush hour, but the only people you ever seen were the handful of main characters? NPCs don't have to have a purpose besides simply being there to move around and take up space. They just have to be easy to identify as not important to you/quick to skip over. If someone doesn't have anything to say, then I shouldn't be able to start a dialog with them, they should simply brush me off and go about their day.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Exploring towns in Zelda, FF, and other classic RPG's was always one of my favorite activities. I too never had the impression of being immersed in a large town or city though in classic SNES RPG's and adventure games. I took them as iconic representations of towns rather than actual towns. Though if you think about it, almost everything in a classic RPG is an iconic representation anyway rather than the genuine article. The towns and castles on over-world maps were literally icons.

I've always favored bigger towns with more realistic scales and populations but I know this can be a deterrent to individuals who get lost easily. I'm the sort of person that can be dropped in the middle of the woods and still know which way is North. After visiting a location once I can picture the surrounding topology/geography in my mind as if I had a Satellite view of the region. Since I rarely ever get lost or confused about direction or location in games or real life I've always favored a little more complexity since complexity typically brings with it more variation and visual interest. However, I can understand how unneeded complexity is an undesirable feature if it leads to confusion.

I think it comes down to communicating to the player the important features and regions of your town or city so that they can easily understand what they do and don’t need to pay attention to. If each building or location in your city possesses implied importance then having a large city can be a bad thing as players will feel overwhelmed. It's important to establish a visual language in your town that communicates to players, which buildings are significant and which buildings and structures are unimportant. Hopefully, in this situation the unimportant buildings, locations, and features of the town simply become background flavor.

Centralizing and condensing the important buildings (shops, banks, inns, etc.) so that travelling between them is reduced is also important. My main motivation for exploring the rest of the town should not come from a necessity to find the shop I need, but rather as you have mentioned to engage in some secondary activity such as inciting a rebellion, rubbing shoulders with affluent members of the community, and so on.

Having navigation markers to help guide players to important locations or individuals in the city may also be something to consider. When playing Assassin’s Creed even if I wasn’t completely familiar with a city’s layout when I first arrived it didn’t matter because I had navigation points and markers to help guide me to those parts of the city that were important. Obviously this is a different genre and the game was handing me objectives to move me along but there are still some concepts that can be gleaned from this example.
For case studies of "realistically" sized cities in games, take a look at The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. Whether this use of scale was useful is subjective.

I'd say leave in the parts of the city that matter to the gameplay, then imply the city's actual size through other means. Unless you're going for a full-blown reality simulator, faking the city's scale would be good enough. You'd still be a step ahead of most games that don't bother to suggest any scale of their cities.

Now, if the entire game were to take place in one city then we'd have a different story.

Quote:Original post by WorldPlanter
I too never had the impression of being immersed in a large town or city though in classic SNES RPG's and adventure games. I took them as iconic representations of towns rather than actual towns.

Most games are iconic by their nature. The miniature towns are along the same lines as nondescript red potions that heal you, a person's abilities being rated by numerical "skills", and gold being the currency of everywhere.
Pen refills are better than games, you say? Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for telling me this, and sign me up for one of those sexy hot pen refills -- strike that, make mine a double order, gimmie 2(TWO) pen refills. Now. Thanks. And don't come back.

On Topic: Measure the size of a city by the number of interesting interactions it presents to the player. Go for density of interactions, where turning around can get you three different shops, and you can get lost in a wealth of detail within just twenty paces. Where every NPC has a story to tell, or wares to sell, or a mission to give. That would be a fun city. Notice how different it is from scattering a few points of interest across a vast sea of boredom?

This is a vote for quality over quantity, where quantity can be relegated to backdrops and atmospheric sounds.

[Edited by - AngleWyrm on December 12, 2010 7:13:55 AM]
--"I'm not at home right now, but" = lights on, but no ones home
I always liked the idea of localization
In that you have localized point of interest that you travel to that is fairly compact with lots of details and interesting npcs while still giving the impression that it is just a part of a large city
In case of MMO I like the idea of organically made cities where every house represents a player,and the city grows with the player base
You could also try to procedurally generate the town and then manually add the points of interests,however I do recommend the points of interest to be tightly connected and especially detailed just like you would if it were localized

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement