Server Hosting?

Started by
4 comments, last by Spawn_Kcb 13 years, 4 months ago
Hello,

I have a simple question, actually it may evolve into many :-) but you have to start somewhere.

Can you buy/rent space on a server to run your own game/application like you can a website?

When I say "Game" I mean run my code (Not say Call of Duty or Team Fortress, but a game of my own implementation) and allow other players/clients to log in VIA TCP/IP and ports.

Or would I need to build my own dedicated server? This isn't a question of performance or practicality just expense :-)

Thanks for taking the time to read this email and hopefully reply.

Regards
Advertisement
Yes, many web hosting companies offers something callad VPS (virtual private servers). It is a virtual machine you can rent, most companies offers the ability to scale the server resources (CPU/RAM/Diskspace/Bandwidth) up and down and this will of couse affect the price.

For example I am using this company hosting my own custom server software:
http://www.glesys.com/vps.php

The cheapest price you can get there is about €10 per month the the most expensive is about €350 per month.
The Forum FAQ answers this exact question!

The short answer is: Yes!

You can either lease a self-managed "dedicated" server, which starts at about $39/month and goes up (a lot) from there, or you can rent virtual capacity, either as a Virtual Private Server (about $10 and up) or as part of some cloud provider (Amazon, Verizon, etc).

Check out the AWS Free Usage Tier.
Note that 750 hours per month comes out to about 12 hours per day, so you will either need to pay for the other 700 hours a month (at $0.02 per hour for a Micro UNIX instance), or turn your service on and off as appropriate.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Not meaning to be pedantic, but isn't 750/30 = 25?
Hi Spawn_Kcb,

actually german vps hosters start as low as 1,90€ a month. They usually have an english speaking support, so it might be a cheap way to experiment with a virtual server for you. These packages usually do not have the uptime and/or power to be real gameserver, but for developent and some testing it is enough.

--GWDev
Yeah, I was pulling 1,440 out of memory for some reason. (That's minutes-per-day, right? Just double-checking here :-)

So, you get one free micro host for a year when signing up for Amazon Web Services. Not a bad deal!

(Seconds-per-day: 86,400; seconds-per-hour: 3,600; minutes-per-day: 1,440; hours-per-month: [672, 744]. Not counting leap seconds :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Thanks for the replies. I am filling out the various forms etc. to get my Amazon space.

I shall let you all know how I got on.

Thanks again for the help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement