• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Concentrate

Runtime of this short algorithm

This topic is 2752 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is a theoretical question so please don't say things like "in practice...".

So this the the question in hand :

Input is an n x n matrix A. Present an O(n^log_2(7)*log(m)) time algorithm to compute A^m, where m s an integer. You can assume m to be a integral power of 2.

So here was the algorithm I devised in psuedo-code:

calculate(A^m){
if(m == 1) return A;
int mid = m/2;
Compute(A^(mid)) -> M1
Compute(A^(mid+1)) -> M2
return M1*M2 using strassen's Algorithm;
}

For informations,strassen's Algorithm runs in O(n^log_2(7)) which is equivalently O(n^2.81) to multiply a n x n matrix.

I argued that the running time in the above algorithm is O(n^log_2(7)*log(m)).By inspection, the recursion depth is log(m) and in each recursion depth, the running time is O(n^log_2(7)), hence the total running time is O(n^log_2(7)*log(m))

I wan't your guys input before I tell you what the running time my professor said it was.

Side note: The recurrence relation I think is:
T(n) = T(n/2) + T(n/2) + n^2.81
T(n) = 2T(n/2) + n^2.81

And using the master theorem, I get T(n) = O(n^2.81)?

I'm getting confused. Any help please?

Advertisement
Compute(A^(mid+1)) -> M2

That line is your problem. You're making an unnecessary extra recursive call per step, which leads to an exponential increase in the complexity.

This causes your algorithm to be O(n^2.81 * m)

What you should do is just return M1*M1

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!