Projects

Started by
13 comments, last by Elysium 13 years, 4 months ago
I was just wondering what people are currently working on. Personally I need to add sound and physics and I am done with my 3d engine. So how about you guys.
Advertisement
I'm working on multi platform engine && utilities. BUT, I have been debating Linux as the primary target platform. Meaning, I may ditch Windows, Mac, etc.. I don't really see many high quality(professional product like Doom or Quake) *free* games for Linux. So I'm desperate to get out there and make it happen. I'll have everything under GPL license. I have event included a clever mod system for users to work with easier.

One of the ideas I have is a cross platform installer. I'm thinking Java because Java is already cross platform and Java Quick Start provides an event easier solution. But if I go pure Linux, then I'll prolly just use sh or something... maybe apt-get or something... haven't decided yet.

I have been studying a lot of Linux hardware interfaces for the roll-your-own thing. I'll never give up OpenGL, never!

There is too much I want to do on Linux. Too many things it seams and too little time it seams...
I am finishing up my Tetris clone. Making sounds and figuring out the little extras to put in.

@mind_wipe iD software does release Linux games (of your professional grade) using OpenGL. John Carmack wishes to stick with that library. On the downside, you do still have to pay for their games. But your idea sounds cool.
Thats cool the engine I have been working on is cross platform. Once I finish incorporating the sound and physics part I will begin my world building tools and things like that. It's good to see others doing something within the linux community. Thanks for responding guys. So one more question what version of linux are you running?
I'm running Ubuntu 9.10. `uname -r` says: 2.6.32-26-generic. It's really to bad Linux isn't more popular. It's free, fairly easy to install and use. Comes with most features that other operating systems have. Plus one of the most amazing things is that it's open source. Users are free and able to modify/hack the crap out of it. I like the car engine analogy: "When you buy a car, don't you want to be able to look under the hood? Maybe modify it to your liking?" Perfectly describes Linux...
I'm working on making multitouch and gestures available generically under Linux.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 with the 2.6.37 kernel. In a couple of weeks I'll upgrade to natty narwhal (Ubuntu 11.04).

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

I'm waiting for the full release before I go to 11.04. I'm on 10.10 at the moment. Latest kernel.
I'm using 10.10
Currently I'm using Java to develop retro games. My game engine is based on LWJGL mixed with some of the features from Slick. I don't like the idea of developing games purely for linux, since it's quite easy to make games work for most platforms, at least while you're not making AAA games.

I still use windows for games, but since I started using ubuntu, I wouldn't want to do any developing in windows again :)

"Unfortunatly" I'm going to teach some high school students how to use Unity at a summer camp next year, so I kind of have to get back to windows again :/
Just starting myself
getting tic tac toe to work in SDL, and trying to mingw32 it for some friends on windows

why would you upgrade to 11.04 so quickly? 10.10 is barely two months old.....
I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 myself. When I first looked at the unix section. It looked as though there weren't many people to help or get help from. I am glad to see I was wrong.
My engine is a flat c dll. Hoping it will allow me to use at least most most programming languages. All I need to do is make some wrappers, for python and others. Has anyone tried or found problems with this approach?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement