• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Deraj

Falling Block Game (free arcade game)

This topic is 2736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is a re-write of a project that I worked on 8 years ago (my first game) and it's far enough along that I wanted to share it and solicit feedback.

Basically, what I'm trying to accomplish with this game is a remake of a certain popular game from the 80s. My top priority is making a version that plays and feels like the classic it imitates (not following the latest "guidelines") so that I don't need to use an emulator/ROM anymore. Timing and scoring need to be identical so that I can compare scores between the two implementations.

I know this is a tired concept, but I selfishly want to make a version that works exactly how I want :)

If anyone has feedback on the following (or anything else), I'd like to hear it.

1) Does this play like the original?
2) If I was going to implement a one-handed mouse control scheme, what do you think would make the most sense?
3) If I'm going to add additional game modes beyond "survival/A-type" and "cleanup/B-type" what do you suggest? I was thinking of a time-limited mode and perhaps a "clear this entire picture" mode.

Web site: http://fbg.sourceforge.net/
Direct download: Download FBG2 v0.3 for Windows

Note that this is the first release, so a few things aren't yet implemented, namely: "cleanup/B-type" mode, in-game music and sound effects, and special effects/animations. If you run into trouble, let me know.

Screenshot:

Thanks!

[Edited by - Deraj on December 26, 2010 10:47:12 PM]

Advertisement
Something that has helped me: Link Scroll down a bit and it gives specifics and formulas. If I remember correctly as well, the original does not provide a next block viewer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!