[IE7] Left-justified vs centered text in forums, etc.

Started by
11 comments, last by samster581 13 years, 3 months ago
The text for the subjects in the forums is centered vs. left-justified. The first (original) post in each thread also has centered vs. left-justified text.

Is that a feature or a bug? [smile] Can we go back to left-justified?

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

Advertisement
Gamedev, the forum text is still broken for MSIE users. Please fix them, it's giving me a headache!
Just giving this a bump. I'm hoping something can be done.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

Oddly, IE seems to be sent different HTML to other browsers. Here's a relevant snippet from the HTML as seen by Opera and IE:

<!-- Opera --><div class="centrist"><p align="center"><a href="http://www.qwarq.com/developers"><b>Qwarq®: Enables cool wireless P2P multiplayer features in your games</b></a></p><TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=2 CELLSPACING=0 WIDTH=95%><!-- IE --><div class="centrist"><p align="center"><a href="http://www.qwarq.com/developers"><b>Qwarq®: Enables cool wireless P2P multiplayer features in your games</b></a><TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=2 CELLSPACING=0 WIDTH=95%>

IE is missing a </p> tag which causes the first post's table to end up inside the <p align="center"> element.

Edit: No, I appear to be hallucinating. See posts below. [rolleyes]

[Edited by - benryves on December 18, 2010 8:37:35 PM]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves
Oddly, IE seems to be sent different HTML to other browsers.
Looks to be missing in Chrome too (and I guess Safari as well), although it renders correctly nonetheless.

Quote:Original post by samster581
Gamedev, the forum text is still broken for MSIE users. Please fix them, it's giving me a headache!

It renders fine in versions of IE later than IE7. If you can update your browser it should fix the issue for you.
Quote:Original post by dmatter
Quote:Original post by benryves
Oddly, IE seems to be sent different HTML to other browsers.
Looks to be missing in Chrome too (and I guess Safari as well), although it renders correctly nonetheless.

I think you can discount my original diagnosis as I've tried refreshing the page a few times and can't get Opera to show that </p> again... Either way, if you view the document tree in IE's developer tools you can see the first table is inside that paragraph. Upgrading to at least IE 8 should indeed fix it, if people have the ability to do that (I assume that people stuck with IE 7 at work).

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I "upgraded" to IE8 (along with all the undesireable side effects that go along with installing any Microsoft product) and the text is now left-justified. I appreciate the effort you made to uncover the problem.

I have MSIE 8.0 and the problem is still not fixed.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5196/errorex.png
Do you have IE7 compatibility enabled? There's a button that toggles the rendering engine. If you look at GDNet's "Who's Online" page, does it show you as IE7 or IE8?
"Who's online" has my browser listed as IE7, which is incorrect.

And I don't use that MSIE compatibility view thing for any website.
And it doesn't matter if I'm logged in or not, text is still messed up.

I went to another website that prints out browser strings, and it says MSIE 7.0 too.

Maybe the problem is my user agent string in the windows registry?
I will see if I can change it.

Well, I don't know what's going on. I check all these places for "MSIE 7.0", and nothing is listed:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version Vector]

My browser string says:
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0)"

[Edited by - samster581 on December 24, 2010 5:20:34 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement