DirectX getting keyPressed

Started by
14 comments, last by simpler 13 years, 4 months ago
I got some problem with detecting if a key was pressed. It works fine with cheking if a key is down, but I want to determine if a key only was pressed.

For the key down I've done this:

bool DirectInput::keyDown(char key){	return (mKeyboardState[key] & 0x80) != 0;}if(gDInput->keyDown(DIK_W))					MessageBox(0, "W down!", 0, 0);

Which is kinda not want I want in a menu..
If anyone can show me how to get if a key is pressed, please tell me! :)
Advertisement
I solved this problem by maintaining two keyboard states. One represents the current state the other one represents the last state.

return (m_keystate[key] && !m_lkeystate[key]);

I hope you get the idea behind this system.
Or, just don't use DirectInput.
Or you could try using something like the following :-

bool DirectInput::keyDown(char key){    if(!isPressed)    {        isPressed = (mKeyboardState[key] & 0x80);    }     return isPressed;}bool DirectInput::keyUp(char key){    isPressed = (mKeyboardState[key] & 0x80);    }

The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
Quote:Original post by Soul Reaver
I solved this problem by maintaining two keyboard states. One represents the current state the other one represents the last state.

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

I hope you get the idea behind this system.

That sounds like a good idea. I feel a bit confused though, how did you store the last keyboard state? I mean, the first time the function is called what value is last keyboard state then?

You have to change some in the poll() function as well, right?
Mine looks like this now:

poll(){	// Poll keyboard.	HRESULT hr = mKeyboard->GetDeviceState(sizeof(mKeyboardState), (void**)&mKeyboardState); 	if( FAILED(hr) )	{		// Keyboard lost, zero out keyboard data structure.		ZeroMemory(mKeyboardState, sizeof(mKeyboardState));		 // Try to acquire for next time we poll.		hr = mKeyboard->Acquire();	}

What to add?

Isn't this exactly what WM_KEYDOWN is for? And if you're doing text input, things get a whole lot more difficult to do correctly (And is why you should use WM_CHAR)
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Isn't this exactly what WM_KEYDOWN is for? And if you're doing text input, things get a whole lot more difficult to do correctly (And is why you should use WM_CHAR)

Okey but don't I have to check that in the msgProc() function?
Like a case statement? I don't have much experience with using the windows methods, if you will please explain for me how to do it with WM_KEYDOWN
Quote:Original post by simpler
Okey but don't I have to check that in the msgProc() function?
Like a case statement? I don't have much experience with using the windows methods, if you will please explain for me how to do it with WM_KEYDOWN
You get a WM_KEYDOWN message in your window proc when a key is initially pressed, and a WM_KEYUP when it's released. You also get WM_KEYDOWN messages when the key-repeat kicks in, something you'd have to do yourself with DirectInput.

What exactly are you trying to do? What do you mean "Which is kinda not want I want in a menu" - do you mean you don't want to go through and check each key whenever you check for menu options being selected? If so, you could use a std::map to map from keys to function pointer / functor or something, and then when you detect a key is pressed, look up that key in the map and call the function / functor to do the work.
What I mean with "Which is kinda not want I want in a menu" is how my menu should work. I don't want a user being able to hold down the down key and then the menu "selector" rapidly loops through the whole many in the same speed as a while() loop goes.

I want to prevent so that the user have to "press down->release->press down again" in order to move down in the menu.

Quote:You get a WM_KEYDOWN message in your window proc when a key is initially pressed, and a WM_KEYUP when it's released.

Okey I get a WM_KEYDOWN message in my window proc. But my menu class doesn't have any connections what so ever with the window proc function.. I can ofcourse reconstruct it up so it has, but it feels more natural to add a function to the Menu class that keeps track of if any keys have been pressed.

For example I don't want to move the "menu selector" if I'm playing a map, that means that my window proc function have to get that information and when i think about it really thinks like messing stuff up ..

It must be hard for you to understand since you don't know how I've built all my classes but I simply want is a Menu::onPress(char key) function that returns true if the 'key' have been pressed.
It sounds like you want the std::map functor method then. Your window can keep the std::map and call the function / functor when a key is pressed.

Alternatively, just keep two arrays of bools, the keyboard state this frame, and the state last frame. Then your menu class can check if a key is pressed this frame and not pressed the last frame.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement