Sign in to follow this  
avocados

macro that adds vectors?

struct v3d { float x; float y; float z; };

void func() {
v3d point_a = { 1,1,1 };
v3d point_b = { 2,2,2 };

point_a * point_b; //point_a now contains the product of the two vectors

Is it possible a macro can make the last line functional? Would prefer that aesthetically to add() and multiply() etc;

+

__declspec(align(16)) union
{
struct{ f32 x, y, z, w; };
f32 v[4]; //floats
f128 v128; //_m128 type
};

then you can just use the SSE intrinsics and do the entire thing in one shot.

Something like:
inline Vector Vector::operator+(f32 x) const { return Vector(_mm_add_ps(this->v128, _mm_load1_ps(&x))); }

clashie is on the right track, but I'm going to vote against the union. Unions like that can cause the compiler to output some atrocious code because a XMM register that the _m128 will fit in is different from the float registers that the f32 x will fit in. This causes the compiler to do a lot of unneeded loads and stores to keep both parts of the union in sync.

Quote:
Original post by avocados
point_a * point_b; //point_a now contains the product of the two vectors

Is it possible a macro can make the last line functional? Would prefer that aesthetically to add() and multiply() etc;

This is a perfect example of a situation where giving the function a name is actually much better than overloading an operator. If you are going to overload an operator for this, use operator *= instead of operator *.

It's not immediately clear to me which product of the two vectors you are talking about. I can count up to five possible interpretations of that product: Dot product, cross product, tensor product, external product and component-by-component product. The last one is not very mathematically meaningful, but some people use it anyway.

If your code says cross_product(point_a, point_b), it's a lot more clear.

It's also pretty bad that you are calling the variables point_a and point_b if they are vectors. I understand that points can be identified with vectors if you decide on an origin, but then none of the products make much sense.