Growing plants in games - examples you liked?

Started by
21 comments, last by Stroppy Katamari 13 years, 3 months ago
I just finished playing Plant Tycoon, and I've played many of the Harvest Moon games and A Tale in the Desert which has a farming sim element. What other games would you all recommend where you enjoyed growing plants as part of the gameplay? I'm not really interested in the economic sim ones where you manage crops, I'd like to focus on the ones where the player grows and tends individual plants and making money isn't the main goal.

(I'm asking because I'm collecting ideas for designing an MMO farming sim system.)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
I haven't found a single game as good as plant tycoon. :(

I played it years ago and really loved it, though it gets booring pretty fast as soon as you understood the whole evolution concept.

Recently I thought it would be cool to have a game that focuses more on creating/growing combinations of plants in a single spot just to make it look nice. (Like choosing a bowl, some deco elements like a rock or two and three different plants, putting them together and try to grow them together) If every plant has individual requirements (like amount of water, type and amount of fertiliser, type of soil) it could become quite a challenge to do it right.
Though you would need a good simulation on how the water and fertilizer spreads and different options on how to distribute them etc.

I think many people would like to have such an application (is it a game or a riddle if you don't really interact with other players ?) on their desktop to click them every now and then and care about how the plants grow and look nice.
I liked the way plants work in The UnderGarden. They're beautiful, and kinda fun, and even necessary for advancing the game.

Also the idea of an interactive plant-like desktop wallpaper could be interesting. Seeding plants at various spots, and the plants curling around the desktop. A sort of idle-mind activity, like an interactive screen saver.

[Edited by - AngleWyrm on December 12, 2010 11:01:34 AM]
--"I'm not at home right now, but" = lights on, but no ones home
Quote:Original post by AngleWyrm
Also the idea of an interactive plant-like desktop wallpaper could be interesting. Seeding plants at various spots, and the plants curling around the desktop. A sort of idle-mind activity, like an interactive screen saver.

Sounds like a delightfully unobtrusive version of eSheep. It could work.
Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
What other games would you all recommend where you enjoyed growing plants as part of the gameplay?

Plants vs. Zombies :D

But seriously, I would really recommend you find a way to play Rune Factory (You said you hadn't in another thread). There's a game that could very easily scale up to an MMO. Just don't play RF:Frontier...freaking Runies :[
Sim Farm! I used to play it all the time.
">
Ok this one is a bit out of subject but it is also related to your previous post about 'collecting small plots of lands' : Runes of Magic. It is your classic 'WoW like' MMO but where every player has an instanciated house where they can grow plants / build furniture / stock items ...
It's kind of tangential to a lot of game play (unless you want to focus on it), but Startopia had a fun garden-tending aspect to it. You fiddle with climate, humidity, and so on, and then you can grow different plants and sell them for cash, or use them for decoration.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

Its not what you want but you need to try farming in Dwarf Fortress hehehe
i'm still waiting til i can plant trees in dwarf fortress, as for the other games i think harvest moon is my faviorite farming idea that could spread well in an mmo like enviroment and if you add some elements from runefactory -> a fantasy harvest moon, even says so in the game it would spread very well

facebook is over flooding with these types of games atm so its really hard to find a quality one that works

i like the simple work flow of
plant -> water -> water -> pick -> repeat
0))))))>|FritzMar>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement