Sign in to follow this  
wh1sp3rik

windows threads

Hello,
I have few questions about threads.

Let's say, i have 4core cpu and i will create 4 threads by CreateThread function.
It will create thread on every my core.

Now, what if i want to create 5. thread ? what core will run this thread ?
I would like to select a core to make a thread on them somehow, is it possible ? becuase i would like to have few cores for max cpu speed. if i create 5. thread, i don't know, which core do multitasking with my 5. thread.

Thank you very much for answers ;-)

Quote:
Original post by wh1sp3rik
Let's say, i have 4core cpu and i will create 4 threads by CreateThread function.
It will create thread on every my core.

Not necessarily. It is up to the operating system's scheduler to decide when each thread gets time on a CPU.

Quote:

Now, what if i want to create 5. thread ? what core will run this thread ?

Same answer.

Quote:

I would like to select a core to make a thread on them somehow, is it possible ?

You can pin a thread to a core (using e.g. SetThreadAffinityMask on Windows) but you cannot pin a core to a thread, as that would allow a user-land application to clog up the whole system (a DOS attack). However, even pinning a thread to a core is still reasonably unusual and you should probably avoid it in general. AFAIK, SetThreadAffinityMask is also only a strong hint rather than a decree.

Quote:

becuase i would like to have few cores for max cpu speed. if i create 5. thread, i don't know, which core do multitasking with my 5. thread.

Let the operating system handle the scheduling.