• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Toadhead

version control

This topic is 2926 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for a backup system for my programs. I am reading a lot about SVN (subversion). From what I understand you can host a server to store the latest files, and than developers can use a client to connect to this server, retrieve the latest version, make changes and upload it again. However, would this also be the best option for me as I am only using this for myself? I mean it would mean I'd have to run a SVN server just so I can connect to it myself. Are there other options? I can't realy seem to find a good answer.

Rob

Advertisement
For subversion you can set up a local repository on your computer without running a server. However, give some thought to using an online SVN hosting service. It may be a slightly greater hassle, but then a single hard drive crash won't wipe out both your working copy and your repository.

Hm I see.
As i'm currently still making small games and applications mainly for the purpose of learning how to program, I think a local SVN server will just do fine. But as soon as I'm actually starting something bigger I think a remote SVN server might indeed be best to avoid losing everthing on a HD crash. Thanks for your help.

Greetings,
Rob

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!