version control

Started by
1 comment, last by Toadhead 13 years, 4 months ago

I am looking for a backup system for my programs. I am reading a lot about SVN (subversion). From what I understand you can host a server to store the latest files, and than developers can use a client to connect to this server, retrieve the latest version, make changes and upload it again. However, would this also be the best option for me as I am only using this for myself? I mean it would mean I'd have to run a SVN server just so I can connect to it myself. Are there other options? I can't realy seem to find a good answer.

Rob
Advertisement
For subversion you can set up a local repository on your computer without running a server. However, give some thought to using an online SVN hosting service. It may be a slightly greater hassle, but then a single hard drive crash won't wipe out both your working copy and your repository.
Hm I see.
As i'm currently still making small games and applications mainly for the purpose of learning how to program, I think a local SVN server will just do fine. But as soon as I'm actually starting something bigger I think a remote SVN server might indeed be best to avoid losing everthing on a HD crash. Thanks for your help.

Greetings,
Rob

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement