Sign in to follow this  
Bronco78th

trying to create a level editor interface....

Hey all,

Just a small noobish question.

Im creating the interface for a 2d level editor.

Im currently using a WPF to create this in Microsoft Visural studio to be programmed in C# by my friend come the New year.

My question is simply, Can I use other windows instead of just using the main WPF form window for all my tools. For example.

Say I have an area in my level editor to create basic triggers...id have soemthing like 'New trigger', some basic most used properties, id then add a button saying soemthing like 'Advanced properties' which, when pressed would open a new window ontop of the form where the advanced properties are listed for that trigger. Is it possible to 'interlink' form windows in that way?

its difficult to in just one window to find space for all the tools and options needed....

Many thanks.

John

Cheers for the reply Troll.

Looking into Tab controls now.

We already have one small app almost complete and my friend (lucky enough to be doing the programming) advised against spawning new windows on that app as well (apart from the 'AboutBox' in the file menu).

Just wondering what the reason for avoiding spawning new windows is?

Regards,

John

The main reason to avoid spawning new windows is they get lost or they are model, either one is bad.

Everything to do your app should be within the main window of the app (about screens are normally model so they are exempted). This allows the user to always know where they need to be looking.

Example. You spawn an advanced properties windows. The person clicks on the main app the advanced properties windows is pushed to the back and now is hidden. They click again on advanced and nothing happens because the window is hidden. (Yes you can bring to front, but this is just an example).

Property panes and tabs are the way to keep things organized in editor.

Oh yeah, Model, DON'T DO IT!!!! They are the most irritating thing in the world (well except for Brittany Spears), if you stop me from doing anything else until I click your window, I get very grumpy. Most people do.

theTroll

Hey Nando,

Just had a quick go on your level editor, very cool.

Seems to do what it says on the box.

Also I notice you use pop-up windows quite alot e.g Options - Manage Terrains box.

The thing about it is although almost all the tools are on the main interface its still very clunky to use, this is exactly what we are trying to avoide and its damn hard!!....mixing the objective of a functional 'general' purpose tile editor with being streamlined and easy to use, its difficult.

Anyway, cheers for the example, might have given me an idea for a solution to another problem ive been mulling over for ages.

Edit - Troll - I see, so its purily more a 'workflow' issue than an actural programatic/software problem, I totally understand where you are coming from now though.

John

UI is one of the hardest things to get "right".

For in-house stuff you can kind of take some short cuts because you can explain how it works to each person that is going to us it.

theTroll

not to be nitpicky, but I think theTroll meant 'Modal', AFAICR (can remember).

Yeah, I hate modal dialogue, you cannot do anything until you do whatever you want to do with it, and depend on the workflow, it means a lot of opening and closing dialogues. Tab with real time changes is a good idea.

Quote:
Original post by TheTroll
Oh yeah, Model, DON'T DO IT!!!! They are the most irritating thing in the world (well except for Brittany Spears), if you stop me from doing anything else until I click your window, I get very grumpy. Most people do.

On that note, I agree with Troll. It's especially infuriating to be typing away and have a modal dialog pop up to confirm some action. If the Yes button automatically gets initial focus, and you don't stop typing in time, guess what happens when you hit the space bar? Yup. You've just agreed to something without even getting a chance to read what it was about.

The only exception to this is on window specifically requested by the user, such as an About window. I don't have a problem with that.