Is OnLive the future of gaming?

Started by
15 comments, last by necreia 13 years, 4 months ago
Entrance fee is... free. Pay $10 bucks a month to unlimited access to 40 or so games. You can pay for your games. There's no monthly charge. Games, IMO, are at a reasonable rate.

So why still buy a PSx or Xboxyyy or Nintendo Z? Do you think that consoles will go the way of the 8-track? Or is there something that a console can provide that a OnLive game box cannot?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Yes... the very very very distant future. There are two major obstacles for OnLive right now.

(1) Super fast Internet does not yet cover the planet. Much of USA has broadband, but there are still many places where sufficiently fast Internet simply does not exist yet. There will be a large market for local hardware for years to come.

(2) Even where the Internet DOES exist, it is still not equipped to handle that kind of bandwidth overload, and the Internet in general is not very reliable. Even at places where I work (with awesome corporate Internet lines), there are days where the Internet is congested or broken.

With that said, OnLive is spreading like wildfire. It is clearly a successful service so far, but it seems to fill the role that Netflix does for movies: it's great for games you want to sample or just flat out don't care to own, but there is still great value in going out and physically obtaining the game (or obtaining the bits over something like Steam).
Amateurs practice until they do it right.Professionals practice until they never do it wrong.
The better question is, why should I replace my computer or console, with a laggy, internet only experience for the same price ($50/game).

If OnLive had a subscription feature where you play unlimited amount for one price or cheaper games (say $35/game), then I can see it taking root.

I think it's good for demos but I would never purchase a game on it for full price.
Quote:Original post by TheBuzzSaw
(1) Super fast Internet does not yet cover the planet. Much of USA has broadband, but there are still many places where sufficiently fast Internet simply does not exist yet.

Don't worry that's a common misconception that ISPs have tricked people into believing.

It's funny though. My parents buy DSL for 15 USD that's 768 kbps down and like 256 kbps up from AT&T or something. They only really get 0.61 mbps down and 0.31 mbps up. Though for 15 USD you can't expect much in the US.

Quote:Original post by ChurchSkiz
The better question is, why should I replace my computer or console, with a laggy, internet only experience for the same price ($50/game).

It's laggy for you? Plays fine for all my friends in Michigan with Charter internet. There's a Washington DC server so you should be getting like 15-20 ms latency (round trip) and it should play pretty much like it's on your computer. I get 8 ms from Michigan to one of their servers. Make sure you have a steady 5 mbps download and you should be 100% fine.
If OnLive had a subscription feature where you play unlimited amount for one price or cheaper games (say $35/game), then I can see it taking root.

I think that's what they're trying to do. As mentioned it's 10 USD a month for 40 or so games. They really need to get publishers on board to allow really good deals. (Steam seems to be good at getting amazing deals).

I will point out that I've seen the
">commercial for OnLive like 7 times now. I recommend that everyone at least try it first before discussing the feasibility. I mean the client is less than 1 MB (which assuming you can run OnLive takes seconds to download) install in nearly instant then just select a demo and play. Pretty simple.

If OnLive doesn't get the market share fast Gaikai probably will.

I think it's good for demos but I would never purchase a game on it for full price.

Granted I did a quick scans of the available games, but I didn't see a game priced over $40.

OnLive Game Prices

note: I stand corrected there are a few games that are $50.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I have crappy DSL and tried it a couple months ago with a free trial and Assassian's Creed 2 played pretty decent. There was some lag and the whole screen was slightly blurry but the game was quite playable.

You really do need to try it for yourself before making any "it sucks" comments. The service has come a long ways since it released and will only get better.

My issue is I'm not going to pay full price for a game and not have a physical copy if it. I never buy new games as a digital download. Its just a mental thing but if I spend $50 for something I want to have something to hold in my hand. If they can expand the games you get for the subscription fee I would seriously consisder getting it.
I don't think there's any possibility whatsoever that onLive will replace traditional consoles for FPS gaming. Not without internet speeds/technology that doesn't exist yet anyway.

Pretty good example for this case would be the backlash leveled against Killzone 2 for having just the TINIEST amount of controller input lag. For many COD and Halo gamers the feel was just unacceptable and an outright deal-breaker.

So seeing as COD and twitch gaming is as huge as it is, and with the tastes and expectations of those gamers, I don't think it can accommodate the mainstream of that genre yet.

A mix of onLive and something like WoW would be another story entirely though.
you cant compensate for lag in a video stream, thats the big killer. 200 ms feels like your keyboard is broken.
Quote:Original post by onfu
Pretty good example for this case would be the backlash leveled against Killzone 2 for having just the TINIEST amount of controller input lag. For many COD and Halo gamers the feel was just unacceptable and an outright deal-breaker.

Excellent article on the subject: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article

The thing is, the local controller lag in Killzone 2 wasn't tiny, it was 150ms. And it still sold a lot of copies. GTA4 measured even worse, at 200ms, and that one also sold a ton of copies.

Those numbers aren't too hard for cloud gaming to compete with. Honestly they are probably already doing better than that on the faster games. I think there's a certain small group of gamers who will start to complain about input lag over 100ms or 150ms, but most people don't mind it that much.
I too will never purchase a game from OnLive. As neat as it is to see the "play high end games on a netbook" sales pitch, I like it when my games function without Internet. It's one thing to lose multiplayer support as the Internet goes down; it's another thing to lose ALL MY GAMES when it goes down.

I tested OnLive out on my new 20 Mbps connection. The games definitely are playable (and will appeal to a wide market of casual gamers), but the experience is nothing like playing it locally. It goes way beyond the latency comparisons. Graphics quality, the ability to manage my own save files, the ability to cheat when I feel like it, etc. all thoroughly smash OnLive into the ground. While the latency certainly isn't as bad as pessimists prophesied, it's still there, and it's noticeable. On top of that, even on a good day, there are still blatant/random lag spikes that ruin my day. It lasts only half a second or so, but it's enough to break the experience and throw me off.

Again, OnLive will continue to latch onto curious gamers who really don't care for the "perfect experience". Just being able to play these big games is enough for them. That market is big enough to appeal to that demographic. For the rest of us who take gaming a bit more seriously, no dice. I like having control over my assets.
Amateurs practice until they do it right.Professionals practice until they never do it wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement