• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Fl4sh

Simple question

This topic is 2871 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Factor x(x – 2) + 3(2 – x).
This is almost the same as the previous case, but not quite, because "x – 2" is not quite the same as "2 – x". If I'd had "x + 2" and "2 + x", they factors would have been the same, because order doesn't matter for addition. But order does matter for subtraction, so I don't actually have a common factor here.

But I would have a common factor if I could just flip (or "reverse the order of") that subtraction. What would happen if I did that? Take a look at the following numerical subtraction:

5 – 3 = 2

3 – 5 = –2

When I flipped the subtraction in the second line, I got the same answer except that the sign had changed. This is always true: When you flip a subtraction, you also change the sign out front. In our case, this means:

x(x – 2) + 3(2 – x) = x(x – 2) – 3(x – 2)

By reversing the subtraction in the second parenthetical, I have created a common factor, so I can now proceed as I had in the previous example:

x(x – 2) + 3(2 – x) = x(x – 2) – 3(x – 2)

= (x – 2)(x – 3)

How come you can just flip the 3's sign to negative. Someone explain this concept. ;o

Advertisement
When transforming equations like that, you can always multiply by 1, so long as your definition of 1 does not contain your unknowns. Likewise, you can add 0 to fix things up.

So,
3(2-x) => (-1)(-1)(3)(2-x) => (-1)(3)(-1)(2-x) => -3(x-2)
Since (-1)*(-1) is 1, we didn't actually change anything. Its quite similar to how you reduce fractional addition.
1/2 + 1/3? 1/2 * 3/3 + 1/3 * 2/2 => 3/6 + 2/6
We multiply both parts by 1, in order to make the numbers easier to work with.

Likewise you could add 0, as I mentioned.
x2 + 2x => x2 + 2x + (1 - 1) => (x+1)(x+1) - 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!