Tankz - my record in fast game dev

Started by
2 comments, last by szecs 13 years, 4 months ago
So I got an idea to build game in few days ... it took 16 hours :D to achieve something playable.

See here
">VIDEO.

Of course it can be extended, as I write in video description, I'll add few more features (I said to do them in maximally another 16 hours) and try to release it. What else would you like to see added? And another my question is, do you think it is worth it to make this shareware?

About game - it has been built upon OpenGL api (graphics, I thought of using my software renderer here ... but that would be only of use, if I'd then release source code, or?), OpenAL api (sounds, music and such stuff ... sounds will be added as soon as I'll decide to continue :D), WinAPI/SDL (window, key handling and such).

So what do you think of my crazy mind developing this in ~16 hours?

Do you think it would be worth of making 3D game out of this (e.g. scorched 3D, I know it exists, but well... newer might be better)? Maybe I'll decide to make 3D game like this, or maybe I'll go another way and develop something else. By the way, this one is done to support hot-seat multiplayer :D.

And at last - I'll soon try to post IOTD here (and on some other servers) with playable version.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Advertisement
Well, to be honest 16 hours doesn't tell much.

The artwork is your own and included in the 16 hours?
How much code did you reuse from your older projects? Or is it made from scratch?

Anyway, it's an impressive little game, mine took a year to complete... (Okay, with lots of features)
Actually with all art (precomputing and rendering fluid dynamics took lots of time from it), and the project has been written completely from scratch (e.g. I reused none of the code).

Of course my fluid dynamics computer and renderer is re-used (it has been one of my older projects).

This is though not my first game (it is first done so quickly and as alone project) - e.g. I made it all on my own from scratch (with exception of music, that is from Kevin MacLeod page, he has some really nice and cool songs ... tbh, all of them are really good.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Then it's really impressive. I thought I'm a really fast coder, but you beet me to it. I coded a hexagonal/square minesweeper (including "art") in about 16 hours, but that's much simpler than your game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement