Sign in to follow this  
bbr125

practical math review

I'm currently learning DirectX and my math skills are a bit.. well, rusty. I would like to develop 3D games eventually when my skills improve. In the meantime, I would like to take 1 or 2 math classes to brush up. I tend to breeze over the mathematical explanations in various DirectX books.

If I had to take 1 or 2 math classes to review, what should I take? Also please keep in mind that I am looking for practical math which will realistically help me the most in game programming. If there is a lot of math theory that is not needed immediately for game programming I can learn later after I have more experience in the field.

Okay thanks. Do you need to know enough where it would be worth it to pay for a class or would I be better off just trying to learn the concepts on my own? In other words, do you think I would only find a small percentage of a linear algebra class useful? I would hate to pay for a class and then find I only need maybe 20% of the material taught in the class.

Any suggestions for a second class?

In my opinion, learn the concepts on your own. Main things you will need are trig and linear algebra. I've found the following books to be excellent:

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Trigonometry-P-Abbott/dp/0071421351/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292644901&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Graphics-Development-Wordware-Library/dp/1556229119

The trig book is the best explanation of trig that I have ever seen, even though it has three stars. There are a few errors that I've run across in the book (224 was mistakenly made 244 in one example) but it's not a big deal.

Another thing I recommend is to download Anki which is basically like e-flashcards, or you can make your own w/ some real flashcards if you prefer.