• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
B G

DX11 Directx setup win7

This topic is 2919 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm fairly new to coding.
Looking to move away from basic console applications to Direct X applications.

I'm looking for some guidance as to how to setup a Direct X application.

I add the include and lib folders for my installation of DX to my project. Currently I am using June 2010, trying to start out with DX11.

I believe you setup the project as a win32 application .. do I need to include microsoft sdk's (.net and windows sdk??) .. in Visual studio do I choose a win32 application? and if yes where is main? ..or should I just empty project as I was doing.

I am using http://www.directxtutorial.com/ as a reference in case it matters, not sure if that is outdated or not. I am using vs2010 , windows 7.

Thanks in advance for any help given. I understand a lot of c++ (loops, virtual functions, oop etc) but the basic setup is stopping me from jumping from console to DX or win 32.

Do I need to setup any additional dependencies?

Advertisement
Ok ... after reading some more I am now using codesampler.com instead of directxtutorial.com for reference.. as the code may be contentious.

I am using vs2010 pro which I believe has the windows api as part of its install?
I am using the directx sdk summer 2004 as its a directx 9 tutorial with its include and lib paths

I am getting errors which seem to be linker errors (I think?)

1>dx9_initialization.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__UnregisterClassA@8 referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>dx9_initialization.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DispatchMessageA@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>dx9_initialization.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__TranslateMessage@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>dx9_initialization.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__PeekMessageA@20 referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>dx9_initialization.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__UpdateWindow@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>dx9_initialization.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ShowWindow@8 referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>dx9_initialization.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CreateWindowExA@48 referenced in function _WinMain@16
1>dx9_initialization.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegisterClassExA@4 referenced in function _WinMain@16

Do I need some dependencies added or something..

Never mind.. solved my own problem
Due to my lack of windows development I thought I needed a seperate sdk (microsoft windows sdk 7.1)

When I uninstalled it the issues resolved themselves

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!