Sign in to follow this  
Ryl

There is a game? Duh... is there?

Ok, there is a game... an already made game..
Now how do i make some modifications for the game? Control its starting menu screen, control the character(s).. and all the characteristics of the game.
The program I am using is Visual Studio 2005.
Errm. How do I start that god damn thing? Ok, I only know how to start the "main.cpp" but what the hell do I put in there so it controls the game? Lol, too many questions, just answer the most important one.

When I was a kid I tried opening up the Doom exe in text pad to try to hack it. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and didn't get very far.

If this is a game that allows modifications, there is probably some documentation on Google specific to the game. Like, WoW for example allows Lua scripting for add-ons. I don't think you're going to have any luck with non-moddable games, unless you know how to run a decompiler.

This is one of those things that nobody teaches anyone else. If you want an example, see the forums here for an example.

Summary: A bunch of people asking for help to crack their programs, getting their threads locked. For the most part, people who actually know how to do this decide not to help anyone since everyone just wants to crack shit and doesn't want to learn.

If you actually do want to learn, all you need to do is find a disassembler, learn assembly language, then sit and stare at it for a while. Publicly available native decompilers don't work properly.

When you make a game, you write source code, an then you compile that into a program that people can run:
Source code -> compiler -> Executable

This is a one-way process. You can try to disassemble it, but you won't get the original source code. Trying to edit an executable without the source is like trying to renovate a building without the blueprints, after stabbing your eyes out.

Now, even if you did have the source code for this game, you'd have to understand the language it's written in, which it sounds like you don't. So I'd suggest learning basic programming before trying to hack apart games like this.

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
Trying to edit an executable without the source is like trying to renovate a building without the blueprints, after stabbing your eyes out.

HA. I'm using that explanation from now on. :)

So, do you want to:
  1. Modify an existing game to create some sort of tool that works with it? You mentioned controlling menus and characters - are you trying to make a piece of software that plays the game for you?

2. Modify an existing game to create a new game on top of it, in the same way that Counter Strike is made by modifying Half Life for example?

3. Do something else?

It sounds to me like you're probably trying to do #1.

Does the game you're trying to modify allow for officially supported mods or extensions? Examples of this would include using Lua to script a World of Warcraft add-on, or using the campaign editor that comes with StarCraft to create a series of new missions. Check if there are any tools or documentation either with the game or on it's website. If not, search a bit more and see if there are any unofficial tools out there.

So, specifically:
  1. What are you trying to do?

2. What programming experience do you already have?

So basicaly, I wanted to do #1. And you know, modify things ingame. Make the script that will alllow me do it ingame. And I got no scripting experience AT ALL.

In that case, a de-compiler is not what you want/need; you don't really need your tool to be part of the game, it just needs to send input.

Quote:
And you know, modify things ingame.
What things? You need to be specific. Depending on what you mean, this sentence may completely change what you want to do from my #1 to something entirely more complex.

Quote:
And I got no scripting experience AT ALL.
With no experience, what you're trying to do is very probably over your head at the moment, you'll probably need to learn a fair bit along the way.

You still haven't told us if the game you're trying to modify provides any official tools or add-in support, or if not if there is anything unofficial available...

SendInput

- You need to understand programming enough to know how to call that function.

- Depending on how the game reads input, that function might not even be able to send input.

- You need some other way to have your program know what the game is doing. What I mean is, if your program thinks it should tell the game to "attack", but the game is actually at the main menu, sending input of *any* kind won't make any sense to the game.

Imagine trying to play a game like Fallout 3 with your eyes closed and ears plugged. The main menu starts off with "new game, load game, etc". But if there is a save game, the first menu item is actually "continue". So, if you want to start a new game, do you send "enter", or "down, enter"? How long do you wait for the game to load? etc.

To automate this, you have to read the program's memory as it's running and find the data that represents what's happening. Making a program to read the memory of a different program is easy (for an experienced programmer). Actually figuring out what the memory MEANS is hard. It's easier than decompiling the code for the game, but it's still REALLY hard. You'll have to learn a LOT about how games work in order to make any sense of what's stored in memory when you look at it raw.