There is a game? Duh... is there?

Started by
11 comments, last by Nypyren 13 years, 4 months ago
Ok, there is a game... an already made game..
Now how do i make some modifications for the game? Control its starting menu screen, control the character(s).. and all the characteristics of the game.
The program I am using is Visual Studio 2005.
Errm. How do I start that god damn thing? Ok, I only know how to start the "main.cpp" but what the hell do I put in there so it controls the game? Lol, too many questions, just answer the most important one.
Advertisement
You're not making any sense.
Quote:Original post by Daaark
You're not making any sense.

So basicaly I want to modify a game....
When I was a kid I tried opening up the Doom exe in text pad to try to hack it. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and didn't get very far.

If this is a game that allows modifications, there is probably some documentation on Google specific to the game. Like, WoW for example allows Lua scripting for add-ons. I don't think you're going to have any luck with non-moddable games, unless you know how to run a decompiler.
I tried a decompilier, but it said taht the program was compiled with a different program or windows or something...
Which decompiler do you suggest?
I'm not very familiar with decompiling to be honest, so I don't have any recommendations.
This is one of those things that nobody teaches anyone else. If you want an example, see the forums here for an example.

Summary: A bunch of people asking for help to crack their programs, getting their threads locked. For the most part, people who actually know how to do this decide not to help anyone since everyone just wants to crack shit and doesn't want to learn.

If you actually do want to learn, all you need to do is find a disassembler, learn assembly language, then sit and stare at it for a while. Publicly available native decompilers don't work properly.
When you make a game, you write source code, an then you compile that into a program that people can run:
Source code -> compiler -> Executable

This is a one-way process. You can try to disassemble it, but you won't get the original source code. Trying to edit an executable without the source is like trying to renovate a building without the blueprints, after stabbing your eyes out.

Now, even if you did have the source code for this game, you'd have to understand the language it's written in, which it sounds like you don't. So I'd suggest learning basic programming before trying to hack apart games like this.
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
Trying to edit an executable without the source is like trying to renovate a building without the blueprints, after stabbing your eyes out.

HA. I'm using that explanation from now on. :)

So, do you want to:
  1. Modify an existing game to create some sort of tool that works with it? You mentioned controlling menus and characters - are you trying to make a piece of software that plays the game for you?

2. Modify an existing game to create a new game on top of it, in the same way that Counter Strike is made by modifying Half Life for example?

3. Do something else?

It sounds to me like you're probably trying to do #1.

Does the game you're trying to modify allow for officially supported mods or extensions? Examples of this would include using Lua to script a World of Warcraft add-on, or using the campaign editor that comes with StarCraft to create a series of new missions. Check if there are any tools or documentation either with the game or on it's website. If not, search a bit more and see if there are any unofficial tools out there.

So, specifically:
  1. What are you trying to do?

2. What programming experience do you already have?

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement