• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
c13303

Java, Isometric & pathfinding, need advices

This topic is 2745 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone !
I'm a french game developer based in Berlin (not professional), my experience is about tiny games and a multi-player web game in PHP/Flash that actually works good (5000 registered players, word in the french games newspaper. Unfortunately the game is text-based and only in french for now : http://blektre.info)

Then now I got a bigger project and it needs more programming.

It seems that Java would be a good thing, since I'm not a high level programmer, but good enough for this (I started the learning, and it's pretty OK) and it's not so far from C++. My game should not be a big memory eater since it's a 2D game, I think. Can you confirm ?

Then here are my needs :
- Isometric view. I would prefer a 2D isometric view, or 2.5D (?) than a real 3D with isometric camera angle, since I'm best in 2D graphic designing. So I looked for Java Isometric engines, and found some : Jisoman and Java Isometric Engine, but I have some doubts (the first one looked very oudated). If you have some advices / informations, please let me know :-)

- Pahtfinding for player and NPCs is a very important part of the game. I checked the A* algorithm that seems nice, and found some tutorials. But maybe I have to check compatibility with the engine, or there are some engine with already pathfinding in it. What can you tell me about it ?

Any help will be really appreciated (and sorry for my approximative english)

Have a nice day everyone !

Charles

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!