Using the SDL_gfx library?

Started by
24 comments, last by CheddarCheese 13 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by nobodynews
Just for another perspective I can't find a zip file anywhere on that website either.

I have &#106avascript turned off in my firefox. When I opened the link I gave in IE, where I have scripts enabled, it redirects to a different page apparently. This page does not show the link for the zip file that is shown when scripts are disabled. So that accounts for the confusion.

Here is the direct link to the zip file on the site.
Advertisement
Thank you very much for all your help.

I have one last question. To install different libraries (eg. ttf, mixer) on Dev C++, I require a 'linker', a 'library' folder and an 'include' folder. However, in the gfx file, none of these are visible. Now, I'm pretty sure there's a way to install it but which I'm oblivious, since all the other libraries I installed were off the same site. Does anyone know how to install gfx into Dev C++ using those files?
There is a website I found a while back that is great for learning the basics of SDL. He has programs specific to using each library with instructions on how to install all of them.

http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/
I would urge you to try to convince your school to adopt a better IDE. VS2008 is free and is much more standard than Bloodshed. Another one is Eclipse.

For SDL programming, you don't even need an IDE. My inclination is to say that if your teacher knows what they are doing, it shouldn't matter much what editor you use. They should be able to inspect your code with any text editor. No IDE is required.
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions, but I have checked the Lazy Foo website and they seem to have a variety of instructions for libraries, however, gfx is not one of them. I can't use other library instructions to install gfx, since I still don't have the linker and the files are different.

As for the lack of IDE suggestion, I am still a student trying to figure out how everything works. I'm quite new to C++, and I'm trying to do all this at home without my teacher around. Plus, since we are supposed to be making a game, he wants full end results. Unfortunately, this requires me to use Dev.
Quote:Original post by CheddarCheese
Plus, since we are supposed to be making a game, he wants full end results. Unfortunately, this requires me to use Dev.
Why's that? Is it a project requirement that Dev-C++ be used? (You might have already mentioned this, but if so I must have missed it.)
@ jyk: Well, our school computers seem to have Dev C++, and a very outdated version of Visual C++, and that's about it. My teacher decided that we use Dev.

C++ has a wide range of libraries, and lots of people are using separate libraries. So it order for me to install the libraries at school, I need to know how to install them to Dev C++.
I didn't mean you should change your tools right now, but you should COMPLAIN to your school/teacher about having to use Dev C++. You have paid for them to train you. They are not doing you any favors by teaching you with obscure technology.

PS. google for 'how do I install SDL_gfx with Dev C++'
I have already tried to google this topic, and came here after I drew a blank. I have found that there is a Devpak SDL_gfx that I can install, but it still seems to require additional steps to work.

Does anyone know of a step by step procedure? That would help immensely.
If no one knows how to do so, I only need gfx for rotation. As I've heard, there's a way to rotate without rotozoom.

If I can't install gfx, is there anywhere that I can learn how to rotate without it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement