Too Old?

Started by
11 comments, last by Quasimojo 13 years, 3 months ago
First of all. I was one of the ones who thought I could build this ZOMFG WOW KILLER CLONE Game... I soon learned I couldn't.. Not right away anyway

That being said, at the ripe old age of 32 :D am I getting past that point where it's reasonable to think I could make it in this field?

I recently picked up the free version of GameMaker, and I'm muddling through the tutorials at the moment just to figure things out. But is it a reality?

I'm a great writer, and have a fantastic concept (but who doesn't?) But at this stage in the game, should I stick to PHP/MySQL and the web (My Day Job)

I know enough about modeling to build a very rough primitive 3d model, and enough photoshop to build some decent textures, but that's about it?

I know enough coding to build a web site, and maybe a text based game, but I don't know where to start.

Bottom line is, Where should an "older" dog like me start?
Advertisement
Not too old.

It sounds like your already familiar with coding ideas, since you can code in PHP. I'm going to assume then that you understand loops and if statements. If that is the case then your going to be much better off then someone with no idea at all.

I would suggest picking a game like pong and trying to make that. It doesn't matter what language or anything like that, the purpose for this first project would be to get your head around the constant looping that is done in a game rather then the wait for input that is done on a website.

I used this same stepping stone and read a lot articles from this site, and I feel once you "get" how a game works your pretty much set.
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
You are never too old to get into the game industry. All you need is determination, skill, willingness to learn and an imagination. Since you're an experienced programmer, I don't see why you would have any problem creating your own games.
The key to immortality is to live a life worth remembering.
If you want to work for someone else age discrimination does exist but it still is possible to make it if you're smart. If you go independent it doesn't matter.

Knowing what you want to do, and how you learn best, and not getting hung up on the way there is far more important than your age. I wasted years with books and sample problems trying to learn C++ the old fashioned way and trying to build things from scratch. I finally directly started experimenting with libraries and working directly on independent projects and even though I still am far from being commercially viable I think IMO I've learned far more in the past year than in the 5-7 years before that with much more fun and much less frustration.
Frequently Asked Question #71: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m71.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The idea about being too old or too young is a waste of time(be proud of your age and background). Get rid of the evil poison in your mind(too old thinking) and start learn all you can. Have fun while you are doing it, read until your eyes are wasted and try to use what you learn on the way. And most important of all... Use this website and all the nice people´s advice in here(the positive ones of course :o) )! So please do yourself a favour by using erase() on "too old" and start having fun with us.

Merry Christmas!

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

I started learning game programming at about 32, got my first game dev position at 36, got laid off in this recession, and am back working in the greater computer industry (not game related). I'm kinda happy with that - I learned a lot during my stint, but I have my own ideas, and don't really have an interest in working on someone else's IP (read movie/tv tie-ins), not to mention having to deal with non-compete, etc.

My philosophy at this point is I'm going to do it regardless if someone pays me for it - I just love games and game development. And I'm pretty happy with that.

GL and happy holidays :)
Quote:Original post by Dwarf King
The idea about being too old or too young is a waste of time(be proud of your age and background). Get rid of the evil poison in your mind(too old thinking) and start learn all you can. Have fun while you are doing it, read until your eyes are wasted and try to use what you learn on the way. And most important of all... Use this website and all the nice people´s advice in here(the positive ones of course :o) )! So please do yourself a favour by using erase() on "too old" and start having fun with us.

QFT and right on!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Sylvester Stallone - started acting in 30's
Samuel L. Jackson - Started acting in 40's
Martha Stewart - Stockbroker to household name after 30
Jesus - carpenter to savior of the human race...after 30.

You to can be like these people...and Jesus.
Thank you, everyone for the words of encouragement.. I have picked up GIMP, Visual Studio Express, Blender, and a plethora of Bookmarks in my browser to begin learning.

I might put together a "Progress" Blog or something to keep you all updated.

EDIT: CRAP.. I didn't submit this.. It's been sitting in an obscure tab burried 10 scroll pages down in FireFox...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement