Can someone help me name my API?

Started by
24 comments, last by Extrarius 13 years, 4 months ago
Sass. Super Awesome Scene... system?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by arithma
I'd call it Miranda

miranda is an open source IMing app, so I wouldn't choose that.

You might want to think of a fictional character or pop culture word that has similar characteristics to your application. Like pidgin the iming client is probably named after pidgin a term referring to a language that comes out of a mixture of existing languages.
Names are hard! I sometimes take a dictionary and try find words that are cool or funny and try to combine them. Like...

Beleive 3D
Coral Engine
Sai (A weapon, but maybe it means "Scene, Audio and Impulse")
Use "De Facto", as in "DeFacto 3D", "DeFacto Engine", etc.

DF3D could look cool as a logo.
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!
Call it Keith.
Graphical Open Application Textured Scene Emulator

FTW

[Edited by - ktuluorion on December 22, 2010 8:36:40 PM]
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
Scene Hammer.
Quote:Original Post by Arithma
I'd call it Miranda. More developers would want to pick her up and learn the API.
I would call it SSG: Slick Scene Graph
I would call it TD or ThreeDee
How about: ThirD
Why not call it: DepthEngine
Or how about: TriangleOrchestra
Or why not: EuclidSolid
A simple "Geom" would suffice if you are into minimalism. Engeom is another possible name. (Engine + geom)

Naming an API has a long lasting impact on the first impression of other developers, so name it wisely.

How about PAMELA (or in actuality PAM3LA)
Physics and Audio Management and 3D scenegraph Library Api

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original Post by Arithma
I'd call it Miranda. More developers would want to pick her up and learn the API.
I would call it SSG: Slick Scene Graph
I would call it TD or ThreeDee
How about: ThirD
Why not call it: DepthEngine
Or how about: TriangleOrchestra
Or why not: EuclidSolid
A simple "Geom" would suffice if you are into minimalism. Engeom is another possible name. (Engine + geom)

Naming an API has a long lasting impact on the first impression of other developers, so name it wisely.

How about PAMELA (or in actuality PAM3LA)
Physics and Audio Management and 3D scenegraph Library Api

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

De Facto gets my vote.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement