Sign in to follow this  

Dont knot what do do!!!

This topic is 2550 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am programming for a very long while, and my main problem is that I keep traveling between APIs. I tried OGL - Hated it. Then I just jumped over and over dx10 an dx9, and I just dont know where should I settle my horses. I got both Beginning DirectX 9/10 Programming by Wendy Jones. So what the heck sould I do?!

With respect, API-hopping is sometimes a rationalised way of procrastinating. Decide what you want to achieve, set small goals and choose an API that allows you to accomplish a specific goal.

Choosing an API for one project does not lock you down to anything for future projects and working with one API is great preparation for working with another.

Well, it depends on what you want to do. What is it? Explore the technology, or make a game or some other application? What's your target goal?

The usual conventional wisdom you'll hear is "just make it". Don't try to write an engine, don't do anything fancy, just make the game (or application you're makiing).

I would also add that the reason to do this is because if you keep getting hung up on your debate and continue reversing yourself, you'll end up with nothing to show for it. Making something, even if it's not terribly good will earn you far more experience. I feel this is true for anything new you do - just get your hands dirty and don't try to design the perfect implementation the first time around, because most likely you don't have the familiarity and insight to do it right (since you've never done it before!). You're guaranteed that further down the road you'll be changing your design. Prototype something, then revisit the design.

So do what you want to do (if it's a game or some other interesting application), then take your experience in doing that project for future projects. And if it's a game or similar application, maybe just choose some out of the box solution and don't bother with learning the low level stuff? Like OGRE, Axiom, XNA, etc. that offers some higher level functionality. Afterall writing from scratch with OGL or DX, you will have to contend with the fact that these API's were written to be primarily low level. You will have to manage more things than you really may want to.

Personally I like exploring the tech, and if that is one of your goals, I would go with DX10 if you want directx. I say this because it's the trend, XNA for instance is moving towards a more DX10 esque feel, and you're forced to use shaders (and not fixed function). Not to mention DX11 and whatever comes next will resemble DX10 more than DX9.

I cannot really comment all that much on OGL, since I feel more inclined towards DX....but if you want to just focus on Windows and nothing cross-platform, then choosing OGL really wouldn't be that much of a contender (especially since you hated it).

Quote:
Original post by Aardvajk
With respect, API-hopping is sometimes a rationalised way of procrastinating. Decide what you want to achieve, set small goals and choose an API that allows you to accomplish a specific goal.

Choosing an API for one project does not lock you down to anything for future projects and working with one API is great preparation for working with another.

QFT because I have experienced it.

This topic is 2550 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.