• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mlt

Writing/Extending a game engine?

This topic is 2828 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Some years ago I extended a small engine with some water effects (normal mapping and reflection) using openGL and Cg shaders.

Development on this engine has more or less stopped so I was hoping to find another opensource project/framework where I can add my own shaders and geometries (eg. simulating water using displacement mapping on the GPU).

I have also considered writing my own engine from scratch but maybe there are a better place to start or get help getting started?

I does not necessarily have to be Cg shaders but I would like to continue working with openGL.

Any suggestions?

EDIT:
What are your suggestions when it comes to:

1) HLSL with DirectX
2) CUDA Toolkit 3.2 with openGL
3) GLSL with OpenGL

?

[Edited by - mlt on December 23, 2010 12:51:20 PM]

Advertisement
How about Ogre3d? Its not directly opengl (but can use it indirectly). You can write shaders for it using cg or GLSL (or a few others).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!