open source project

Started by
2 comments, last by Bregma 13 years, 4 months ago
What is the best place to post an open source project where other coders can easily contribute to it?

I'm hoping to post an image cropping program, and I want other coders to be able to submit performance improvements.

Advertisement
I know of three.

Check out:
SourceForge
FreshMeat
CodePlex

If you're into doing Linux development or want to make your work available on Ubuntu repositories, check out LaunchPad
Quote:Original post by Shonumi
I know of three.

Check out:
SourceForge
FreshMeat
CodePlex

If you're into doing Linux development or want to make your work available on Ubuntu repositories, check out LaunchPad

Thanks. I set it up at http://batchcropper.sourceforge.net/.

Please let me know if it looks ok.

Quote:Original post by ms75214
Please let me know if it looks ok.

I would suggest that instead of releasing each individual source file separately, you make use of one of the source repositories available at SourceForge, then produce a source release (tarball, zipfile). The advantages to that are:

(1) a prospective developer can download one single comprehensive source package and build from there, rather than having to download several files.

(2) you can control the releases, where everything in a release has been built and tested together: you can guarantee a degree of consistency and coherency

(3) source control gives you revision history so you, and others, can see the changes that have been made over time

(4) the source repo interface on SourceForge has a browse tool so folks can view the source online without having to download it

You might also want to set up some sort of web page or wiki (SourceForge has tools for that, too) so you can provide at least rudimentary documentation.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement