Sign in to follow this  

SDL + opengl with multithread

This topic is 2550 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am only using SDL to create the window rendering context for opengl. My question is that is it possible to use all of them on separate threads?? for e.g

thread_1: SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) // since I am only using the video subsystem

thread_2: Create SDL window/SDL_WM_SetCaption etc

thread_3: do all opengl stuff like glNormal, glBegin() etc.

Or must all of them run on the same thread??

Normally when i think of multi-threaded applications, i think graphics thread, physics thread, ai thread, etc. You're proposing, it seems, just 4 graphics threads!

SDL_Init has to be called before anything else, so it is not a good candidate for threading. Creating the window and setting a captions has to be done after SDL_Init and before everything else, so it's not a good candidate for threading.

Basically, these are sequential operations. Threads are no use there.

Finally, your glBegins and glNormals, i don't really know (maybe someone else will respond about that), but i don't think it's a good idea.

Why do you want to use multiple threads anyway? They're incredibly useful in big applications that are very demanding on CPU time, but if that was the case, i don't think you'd be asking quite the same questions.

haha yah, it is just a thought question, I am not really creating 4 graphics thread. My main concern is whether the rendering context and the gl commands can be on different threads.

Actually, creating multiple graphics threads isn't that stupid, I experimented with it in my engine (though based on a task system) with directx11 which supports multithreading by creating additional (deferred) device contexts, and it worked out great.
However, I don't believe (or at least, I have not been able to find) that OpenGL currently has the same functionality, so 1-0 to microsoft. You can however "emulate" such a system by creating your own command buffer creator which can receive request and handle them multithreaded.
There is a great article on this in the book "Game Engine Gems 1", I don't have it with me right now so i don't know the title, but you will recognise it when you see it, I believe it was something like "rendering with a command buffer".

This topic is 2550 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.