Sign in to follow this  

[Book Recommendations]Learning new languages and technologies

This topic is 2549 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As a little bit of background, I am a freshman student in college going into my second semester in January. I have 1.5 years of independent research to do in computer science related areas, and then I will complete a final project. I consider myself fairly proficient in C++, but nowhere near a master of C++. I recently have finished reading the following books over the past year or so:
* Data Structures and Algorithms in C++
* Effective C++, Third Edition
* PHP and MySQL Web Development, Fourth Edition
* Android Application Development for Dummies
* Game Engine Architecture
* Miscellaneous Java books

I plan to read the following:
* Real-time Rendering, Second Edition
* Exceptional C++
* PHP 6 and MySQL
* The Pragmatic Programmer
* Rules of Play

These cover quite a bit of different technologies and domains. I don't have near enough books to cover my 1.5 years of research though, and I'm looking for some good recommendations in the following areas: rendering, languages (C++, Python, PHP, javascript, CSS, etc.), mobile applications, artificial intelligence, etc.

Anything you consider interesting, or a must-read, tell me!

Have you used any of what you have already read in a non-trivial manner? Because reading without using is, simply put, a waste of time...

(Also, on a personal note, I think you are really over estimating what you need to do during the next couple of year work wise; don't forget to go out, have fun and live life a bit as well.. )

Quote:
Original post by phantom
Have you used any of what you have already read in a non-trivial manner? Because reading without using is, simply put, a waste of time...

(Also, on a personal note, I think you are really over estimating what you need to do during the next couple of year work wise; don't forget to go out, have fun and live life a bit as well.. )

You are probably correct, I feared I may be overestimating.

By the way, yes, I have used what I have read in a non-trivial manner. In fact, as a second sort of job, I offer my programming services at a monetary rate, and currently I am working on a project for one of my clients. On the hobbyist side, I am in the process of making a X360 mouse controller which basically just takes input from the X360 PC controller and maps it to the Windows OS mouse.

I do plan to live life, haha. That's what I've been using this winter break for so far. I was just trying to get a head start on my second semester research before I meet with my advisor.

Thanks for the input phantom; helpful as always!

Pick up a copy of Programming Language Pragmatics by Michael Scott. You should find this a very handy reference for how languages are typically designed and implemented, which will make learning new technologies much easier as you'll have a deeper understanding of why certain things work as they do, rather than just knowing that language A does things one way while B does them another.

Plus, if you ever decide to do anything crazy like build your own scripting engine, it'll be invaluable for planning and implementing it [smile]

This topic is 2549 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.