Sign in to follow this  

Begginer, Questions regarding C99, OpenGL 4+ and OpenGL ES

This topic is 2547 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Good afternoon(atleast here) people from gamedev.net

As I stated on the subject title I am a begginer. No idea on programming at all. And I plan on going to college(when I am able to) and work on a CS degree. But id like to have a better understanding of things before hand. So, I bought a book 'Programming in C'(Third Edition).

I could and will google around for some of my concerns, but Id also like the opinion of the much more experienced personnel around this site.

Questions are:

1- What are good IDE's for C99 programming? Free or otherwise.

2- Can you use OGL 4+ and OGL ES to do the same things?

(There was something on the site, not this one, that said that they are the same now or something, I dont think I grasped the information correctly, can I be clarified?)

3- Can games using OpenGL ES work on PC's, Mac's, etc(HW accelerated)? Or is it specifically for portable systems only?

I think that's all I have for now. Thank you and Felicidadez!

Quote:
Original post by 2DExtremeOwner
So, I bought a book 'Programming in C'(Third Edition).
C is a fine language, but I wouldn't entirely recommend it as a first language - the learning curve is quite a bit steeper than many of the more modern languages (for example, Python, or C#). Something worth considering, at least...
Quote:
1- What are good IDE's for C99 programming? Free or otherwise.
What platform are you using? For Linux/Mac I would recommend you stick with a text editor and the command line. Windows is a little less friendly, so you probably want Visual Studio Express, or Code::Blocks.
Quote:
2- Can you use OGL 4+ and OGL ES to do the same things?
They are largely equivalent, and OpenGL 4.1 has a compatibility mode to match OpenGL ES 2.0 exactly. There are however quite a few advanced features of desktop OpenGL that don't appear in ES.
Quote:
3- Can games using OpenGL ES work on PC's, Mac's, etc(HW accelerated)? Or is it specifically for portable systems only?
In general, yes. The exact details vary by platform and supported OpenGL version.

This topic is 2547 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.