Sign in to follow this  

LUA for console games??

This topic is 2489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yeah, like steve said.

To get a dev kit you are going to have to prove to the console makers that you are worthy of being a licensed developer which usually means lots of professional game dev experience.

Then on top of it, i believe there is usually a fee of like 10,000$ to become a licensed developer, and then dev kits themselves range from 2,000$ to 10,000$ each.

It's very prohibitive, which is what makes XNA so attractive :P

Lua has been used successfully on many console games in the past. Off the top of my head, I know the PS3 title [font="sans-serif"][size="2"]Formula One Championship Edition used Lua for things like car AI.[/size][/font]
[font="sans-serif"] [/font]
[font="sans-serif"][size="2"][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][quote name='Aken H Bosch' timestamp='1293751080' post='4752548']
Even with XNA, you need to pay money in order to test your game on the actual console
[/quote]
The amount in that case is trivial in comparison to a real developer license. Something like $99 a year.[/size][/font][/size][/font]

Just a statement as Atrix said, if Sony won't make homebrew (or independent) development friendly then forget about it, it's a matter of policy. Technically, LUA is very effective.

Lua or it's variant (which alot of companies create a variant of Lua tailor for their particular needs) is very common in games. Sony uses Lua in Home, Crytek uses it as their script core, i've used variants of it in large projects, etc.. Its a competent complete scripting language with a good balance of performance vs accessibility..

-ddn

Guest God Almighty
[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1297506563' post='4773234']
Why out of all the companies and people who have accesses to console dev kits there are no torrents for them?
[/quote]
[list]
[*]No interest
[*]High risk of being detected and thus sued into oblivion/fired
[/list]
Something like this?

God

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1297506563' post='4773234']
Why out of all the companies and people who have accesses to console dev kits there are no torrents for them?
[/quote]

A dev kit is a lump of hardware. I don't believe physicists have worked out how to encode such things digitally yet.

This topic is 2489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.